Chapter 11

Yamato, Kakashi, and Naruto trekked behind Sasuke silently, whispering among themselves. It seemed that Sasuke wasn't angry, but just deep in thought. "Where are we heading?" Naruto asked.
     "Amegakure," Kakashi answered, "The Village of Rain. It is a small village that was nearly destroyed after it became a battleground for Konoha and the other larger shinobi countries. Not many people live there, and it is only a few days walking away."
     "Why should we not travel to the ocean? Nobody lives there."
     "It is too dangerous. The three-tailed beast, Isobu, dwells in a lake or at least a body of water nearby. If Kurama and Isobu were to join forces your body would be ripped apart and all of us here, including Chiharu, would die."
     "Oh," Naruto said. "I see."
     They travelled for the whole day, and when nightfall came, Yamato had built a small shelter of wood for them. The located a stream and fished, then cooked their meals on an open fire. "Sasuke, what are you thinking?" Kakashi broke the heavy silence. "You must communicate with us."
     "I am fine. I'm not usually a talkative person."
     "You're too quiet. What is it that troubles you? Itachi?"
     "Yes, Itachi does bother me, but mainly I have been thinking about something." He looked at Yamato strangely, then stared at the fire. "Do you know a man named Orochimaru?"
     Kakashi narrowed his eyes. "It's strange that you should ask for his name. But yes, I have heard of him. He is one of the Three Sannin of Konohagakure, a very great ninja. But he has become twisted with power and the hunger for immortality." He stopped for a bit. "Why do you ask?"
     "I just read in a book that he was a terrible man. I hoped that you could've given me a bit more detail." He sighed. "I'm far from tired. I'll take first watch tonight."
     Kakashi and Yamato fell instantly asleep, their minds and bodies fatigued after the long walk. Naruto kept awake, still thinking of what had happened that day. Finally realizing that he couldn't sleep, he sat up and faced Sasuke.
     "It's a wonder they can sleep." Sasuke remarked. "I definitely can't."
     "Sasuke, I want you to tell me more." Naruto nervously twitched his fingers. He doubted that he could get anything out of Sasuke. "What was it like... with Itachi a criminal? For your own brother to completely turn on you?"
     "Of course, it felt painful and betraying. Everyone would say that." He looked at the glittering stars above, avoiding eye contact. "It felt like my feet would not walk. They couldn't. The sun would not rise, it had no reason to rise in such a disgusting place. The rivers would stop flowing. There would be no green. At then..." Sasuke laid down, his expression sad, which did not fit his personality. "the loneliness came."
      "You were loved by everyone, though." Naruto regretted his words the moment they came.
     "Everybody thinks that. But nobody could truly see me, and that made me realize. In this whole entire world, your family is the one single thing that truly loves you. And that's why... nobody should ever be forced away from their family." Sasuke looked at Naruto's startled expression. "I went too deep. But just get this- I don't know why, but it's painful."
     "Painful?"
     "Whenever I see you being separated from Chiharu. It's like I'm watching myself being torn from Itachi. I can't stand it."
     More silence hung between them, a silence that wasn't hostile or awkward. It felt like something else.
     "Then... can I ask you why you asked of Orochimaru?"
     "I must have been too suspicious."
     "You were,"
     Sasuke sat up straight and looked Naruto square in the eye. "You can't tell anyone." He said darkly. His eyes flashed a dark red, and Naruto saw a strange, swirling pattern in his eyes.
     "That's the Sharingan!" Naruto narrowed his eyes. "How did you awaken it?"
     Sasuke lifted the collar of his shirt, revealing an ugly black pattern pressed on to his skin. "During the Haku and Zabuza fight, Orochimaru cursed me. I researched in forbidden books, and there's no doubt that somehow Orochimaru got me. I don't know what this is at all."
     "Why won't you tell Kakashi or Yamato?"
     "They will seal this curse mark, I know it. But I feel that it grants me a strong power. It radiates through my body like a drug, I need this new power." He grinned, something mad and unchained flashed in Sasuke's eyes before he settled to normal. "Of course, it will help me fight for Chiharu."
     For once, Naruto felt terrified of Sasuke. "Be careful," he said, his voice wavering. "you are making a deal with a devil."
     "You are, as well."