Chapter 16│Fights at the Falls

C H A P T E R 1 6

The pencil drags over the surface of the white sheet in its final stroke. Sitting here, on this swing, things seem peaceful. 

I close my sketch pad and lean forward, swinging my feet. My finger taps, when an idea hits me.

My phone rings once before he picks up. 

"Adelaide?" 

"Ryder! It's me! How are you doing?" 

"Hey! I miss you over here! Things are great, not as fun without you but, they're okay." 

"I miss you too. Things are..." I sigh. "I don't really know." 

There's a pause. 

"I know things are hard. They are for me too." 

We were Ryder's second family. It was hard when they passed for him, too. 

"Are you okay?" He asks, then scoffs. "I'm such an inconsiderate tool, of course you're not. Do you need me to fly out there? Because I will. I will pack my bags right now and-" 

I give a slightly choked laugh. I hadn't realized that silent tears had started to fall down my cheeks. Hearing his voice... "No, Ryder it's okay. I love you, but it's all right. I'm all right." 

I can picture him rolling his eyes. "Ad, I'm serious. Let me come." 

"I'm serious too. I should fly back for breaks and stuff, and then there's Summer..." 

"I know. But maybe I can fly sometimes too. We'll work out a time, really soon. I want to see you." 

"I want to see you too. I have to go, my lunch period ends in a little bit." 

"Okay. Love you." 

"Love you." 

~~~

Sweat beads down my forehead as I walk to the bench after practice that day. I look up to see Forrest and his friends sitting in the bleachers near me, laughing. Forrest waves at me, smiling slightly. I wave and smile the biggest I could muster. But it was forced, and he could tell. His brow crinkles and he stands up, eyes confused and concerned. 

Before he can catch up, I spin around and walk hurriedly back to my dorm. I had a newspaper run in an hour, I would see him then. 

After my shower and throwing on some jeans and my beat up Converse, I head down to the office. 

"Hey Keeley." I greet my editor with a smile. "What's for today?" 

"Hey. So...today you update on the soccer seasons. I know it's boring, but we're just not getting as much heat as normal. It's been slow lately." She responds. 

"Yeah. I have noticed that." I tell her. "But that's fine. I'll go right now." 

When I reach the field the guys are mid practice, but the coach is on the bench, hunched over a clipboard. 

"Hey Coach. I came for another newspaper run." I sit next to him. 

"Oh! Why sure, anything for you Adelaide. Do you need Forrest, too? He's the captain. I think we should get him. Don't you? Yes. Of course. I will call him over." 

He was talking so fast I barely got out my refuse as he yelled for Forrest. 

I flip through my notes idly as he jogs over. 

"Coach?" 

"Adelaide here is on a newspaper run! She came to chat, but I have to go finish coaching this practice. You answer her questions nicely, you here me my boy?"