Chapter 2│First Day

C H A P T E R 2

I hadn't realized how much I hated being in a skirt. It was black, pleated, and reached my mid thigh. Though when we bought the uniforms I hadn't minded them, with them actually on, I really wish I could stick to my skinny jeans and t-shirts.

Instead, I stand hear surveying myself in the full-length mirror. In a light blue oxford tucked into my skirt, and a red blazer, the only thing that feels normal is my worn converse.

Flora is singing her little heart out in the shower, and I wince when her voice cracks on a high note. I glance at the clock by my bed, and frown.

7:58. Seventeen minutes until my first official day of boarding school.

When Flora comes out of our bathroom, she's in an outfit extremely similar to mine. And as we grab our bags, she starts to chat excitedly about today. As we walk down the hall to the school part of the building, she continues to give me a play by play of where everything is. She's been coming here for three years. I'm grateful for her enthusiasm, and I hope my one word answers aren't dampening her mood.

She also tells me of the student body here at Prescott. Mostly of the girls on our floor, who's nice and who's popular. Who's a nerd and who's a jock. I listen intently, although at some points I find my mind wandering elsewhere...to my family.

Flora is ecstatic to find out that we have a lot of the same classes together, and I find myself pretty glad too. It's going to be nice having some guidance the first couple weeks, and I think I'm warming up to Flora a little bit.

But when she finds out that are lockers are a hallway apart, her happiness fades a little.

"Oh well," she shrugs. "we can't have everything together."

About five minutes later when I have my books, I walk into my homeroom. To my surprise, I'm the first one here so I pick a seat as far away from the front as possible. I really don't like attention. I settle my head down on my arms.

The room slowly starts to fill with people. Flora sits in front of me and a blond boy named Nathan sits beside me. And when he leans across the aisle to whisper, I don't expect to hear what he says.

"You might not want to sit there."

I blink at him.

"Why not?" I ask.

"Because Ashley Collins always sits there. She'll be ticked to see you there." He smirks. "Oh, and she's my girlfriend."

"Oh, uhh..."

That's when a fake blond with a too short skirt struts to my side.

"That's my seat." She says, frowning, as if I'm the one pestering her.

"So I'm told." I mumble, but don't get up. I really, really do not want to site in the only desk left. Right in the center and close to the teachers desk.

"You're new here, right?" She asks, and when I nod she continues. "So you probably don't know who's queen here. That's me. You'll learn real quick that I get what I want, so let's get this straight." She leans her hands on either side of my desk, caging me in. "That's my seat." she says seethingly.

By this time everyone's seated...and their also staring. We are the center of attention, and I feel anger boil inside me. Who does she think she is? The word 'no' is just about to leave my lips when the teacher calls her out.

"Miss Collins, please sit down." She whirls around.

"But that's my seat!"

"Now, Miss Collins." he says. She huffs, walks over to her seat, and sits ungracefully. I want to laugh at her tantrum, but I have a feeling that wouldn't be the best plan right now.