Chapter 11│Secrets

C H A P T E R 11

Date. The word continues to bounce around in that thick skull of mine, processing. A date? Like, what day is it today? 

No idiot, it means fancy dinners and cashmere sweaters. You know, going steady, going out- 

Adelaide stop talking to yourself, gosh. 

"Forrest?" I question. Was he asking me out on a date? But that doesn't make any sense...

He looks down at the word again, his eyes widening in surprise when he looks back up at me. He opens his mouth to speak, but no words ensue. He shakes his head slowly, inky curls straying in his eyes. 

"If this is what I think it is, well then..." I smirk. "I guess I would say ye-" 

I was cut off by a guy with blond hair jogging up to us. 

"Forrest? What are you doing, man? Watch out! She's coming!" He shoos us away with a slight push while Forrest grips my elbow, ushering me aside as a girl with short brown hair enters the field. She walks up to the balls, eyes scanning over the word as she squeals in delight and jumps into the boys arms. 

Oh no. Oh no. Oh no.

Startling realization weighs down on my chest, the pressure of embarrassment causing my cheeks to heat up. I can't believe I did that. I can't believe I had almost uttered the word yes, to Forrest freaking Gray who wasn't even asking me out in the first place. Why would he? I feel so stupid. This wasn't for me, it was for that girl. 

The happy couple make their way out of the field, hands intertwined. Forrest' hand still circled my inner elbow, his touch sending tingles up my arm. 

"Um, I'm just gonna go..." I mutter, making a move to go to my bag on the bench. His hand tightens on my arm, not painfully, but my face contorts in discomfort anyway. I seriously did not want to sit here and talk about my complete and total idiotic notion that Forrest had asked me out. 

"Adelaide." His voice was soft, slightly pleading. I turn my eyes upward, his blue ones looking into my own. 

"Forrest, I don't-" I pause to sigh. "I don't think I can talk about it." 

His hand slides down my arm to my inner wrist, his thumb tracing small circles into the soft, sensitive skin. 

"And we don't have to." His eyes were burning with intensity, turning into a dark shade of blue. "So let's just play." 

I consider it for a moment, my eyes flickering over to the pile of soccer balls that still spelled out the dreaded word. A smile threatens to appear as I whisper,  "Okay."

He gives me a lopsided grin before jogging over to the balls and kicking one, and then another, and then another, taking out the entire letter 'd'. I grin and follow after him, kicking random soccer balls into the net as Forrest does the same. We laugh as we do this, the embarrassment and tension seeming to disappear with every kick and giggle. After all the balls had made it into the net, completely destroying the entire word, I collapse onto the ground, out of breath. Forrest plops down next to me, stretching out his long legs as we stare at the sky, a sunset before us. I suddenly wish I had my pad and pencils, wanting to capture this perfect moment on paper. 

"Who needs dates anyway, right?" I ask, giving a breathy laugh. 

He was silent for a moment, so I look over at him. 

Only to see him already staring at me. 

Something flickers in his eyes...hesitation? Uncertainty? Before I can determine what it was, it disappears and is replaced by a smirk that seemed half hearted.