2nd Day of Christmas

"Character A is stuck working in coffee shop on Christmas Day and Character B is the lonely soul spending their whole day there."

-

Mitch hates his job and has an even stronger hatred for it on days like this.

He loves coffee, absolutely loves it, but he wishes he were anywhere else other than this blasted coffee shop on Christmas Day.

He's been forced to work holidays before, doesn't understand why the shop even opens on fucking holidays considering nobody ever shows up. He's normally lucky, able to get paid for doing nothing other than sit around and occasionally drink the free medium sized coffee he's allowed every hour.

Today he is not so lucky. Since there is a customer in the store, Mitch must remain standing at the counter.

The blonde has been here since they opened, sipping at his hot chocolate on the secluded corner of the coffee shop. Mitch can see him, though, is practically shooting daggers at the blonde while his back is turned away from him. It appears that he has a book, has been reading it since he showed up at 8 in the morning, four hours ago.

Mitch just wants to sit down.

Eventually, the blonde man walks back up to the counter, mumbles another order. He looks exhausted.

"So," Mitch says as he begins brewing the coffee. "Why are you here? It's Christmas."

The man bites his lip, shuffles back and forth before shrugging. "Why are you here?"

"I'm working."

"Y'now, this was the only place I could find that was actually open."

"Lucky me," Mitch mumbles, handing him his cup. "Why aren't you with your family or friends?"

The man sighs, "I wasn't welcome."

Mitch feels his cheeks heating up, he's touched a nerve if the man's sad blue eyes are anything to go by. "I'm sorry - I over stepped. I shouldn't have-"

"It's okay," he smiles sadly, "you were just curious."

"Do," he pauses, hesitant to offer this man anything, doesn't think he can handle any more awkwardness. "Do you want to talk?"

"It's fine, I know you don't want to hear it," he says, shrugging and turning to walk back to the spot in the corner he had been sitting earlier.

"Wait!" Mitch calls. "I'm sorry if I was rude earlier, I mean it. I'm just upset I have to be here for Christmas. You seem really sweet. Please, if you want to talk I'm willing to listen."

He turns, a kind and subtle smile tugging at his lips. He nods, grabbing two chairs and cradling his coffee in his arm as he walks back to the counter. He sits, patting the chair next to him. "Okay," he smiles, "I'm Scott."

Mitch comes out from behind the counter and hesitantly takes the seat next to Scott, smiles at him sweetly as he watches the blonde sip at the coffee he made. "I'm Mitch."