Torture Without You

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry," Newt apologized. You had recognized his voice the minute he said your name. "I just wanted to talk."

You wrapped your arms around your torso, protecting what you could. "I don't want to talk," you shook your head, your voice wavering.

You heard Newt sigh in frustration. He seemed troubled and distant, angry with you even. He'd barely said ten words to you since you'd arrived. It was his nature to be kind and forgiving, not apathetic.

"I'm just trying to get you home." Newt protested, all of his previous cautiousness evaporating into nothingness. He reached out and touched your wrist. It felt like fire against your skin, and you jerked your hand away before you could get burned.

"Don't touch me," you hissed.

"Look, I'm sorry for leaving you, but I didn't have a choice!"

"Yes you did! Why did you have to go?" You yelled. Tears began to stream down your face as memories flooded back to you.

"No, no! Don't cry!" He groaned, sounding more frustrated than concerned.

"You don't get to tell me that! After you left, it was hell. I can't even look at you without being mad." You snorted. "Hell, I can't even look at you! Literally!"

"I'm sorry for what you've been through. But I think it's unfair to put the blame on me. It wasn't my fault. I didn't have a say in what they did with me."

Maybe he didn't have a say, but he could have chosen not to do what he did. Ultimately, it was his fault, no matter what he said. "I hate you! I don't think you get that!" You were shaking. Not from rage, but from sadness. And anger.

Newt blanched. All was silent. You sobbed quietly, reliving all the memories you'd tried so hard to repress.

"What happened to you?" Newt questioned quietly. You could hear the heartbreak in his voice, the first emotion he'd showed besides anger and annoyance.

"You happened, Newt." He let you release it, making no effort to retaliate to your cruel remark. You sighed. "After you left," you started, wiping the tears from your face. "It was torture. Remember those kids, the Slytherins who didn't like my parents?"

Newt nodded.

"They'd... they'd come up behind me,. They'd grab me and do terrible things... throw sacks over my head, throw me into the lake, lock me in closets and leave me for dead in the Forbidden Forest . They'd beat me, too. They-" you hiccuped. "I just don't feel safe anymore because of them. It happened all the time I was at Hogwarts."

Newt's face fell. He remembered the Slytherins well- they'd bullied you relentlessly while you were at school. He'd always been there to protect you, though. He shielded you from the insults and never told you about the nights he stayed awake, listening for sounds of footsteps coming up the stairs and making sure you were safe. But he couldn't keep you safe. Because clearly, you'd been tortured. You'd been changed. And he wasn't there to help you.

"(Y/N), I'm so, so-"

"Why does this hurt so much?" You sobbed. "I don't... I can't... I don't want to relive this!"

Newt rushed forward and took you in his arms, rubbing your back comfortingly. "I'm sorry." He whispered in your ear. "I'm so sorry." It was all he could think to say. What else could he do?

"I know," you shook. "I know..."

You two stood in silence, you trying your best to forget the memories that had tortured you so badly and him trying his best to make you feel better.

"Why don't you stay with me?" Newt offered suddenly. "We can spend time together, a-and I can help you, like we used to do,"

"I don't need you to take care of me," you sniffled with a slight laugh.

"Right..." Newt chuckled sheepishly.

"And I couldn't. I don't want to impose," you pulled away from Newt's arms and wiped your cheeks free of tears.

"You wouldn't impose. I love you. I always have. You're my best friend. I haven't forgotten about you."

You blanched. It was true, you and Newt had dated at Hogwarts but you never thought his feelings remained with him for so long. Even if it was platonic, you'd given up hope that anyone still cared.

"After all this time?" You finally asked, shocked.

He nodded before he remembered you couldn't see. "Yes," he answered quietly.

You reached out a hand and touched his face, feeling his smooth skin beneath your fingertips. Your fingers trailed across his crooked nose and along his curved cheekbones, down to the pout of his lips and chin. You put your hand on his cheek and stroked his face underneath it.

"I love you too," you whispered with a smile. "Even after all this time,"

Gently, you pulled Newt's face down to meet yours. He put his arms around you in a giant bear hug, conveying how much you meant to him. Your nose bumped his but you didn't pull away. You stayed like that, soaking up the proximity.

"I'm sorry," you whispered.

Newt smiled sadly. "Me too."

You buried your head in his shoulder and reminded yourself that you loved him, too. It wasn't his fault he was expelled or that he left you. And it didn't matter, either.

Because he was there then, and that was what counted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is not that good but whatever.

Hey guys, feel free to give me requests! It'd be great to hear some of your ideas. And I know I'm doing the prompts right now but those are kinda vague, so a second opinion would be great.

Anyways, thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment! 💕