27.| Sneaking Around

Start from the beginning

"I don't know if I can do this," I whisper honestly. My words are dripping with resignation and fear.

"Everything will be fine. Besides, your uncle's life is in our hands, "Kellan reassures, taking my hand in his, squeezing it tight, "We have to do this." His words are reassuring. I give a slight nod before he steps up to the door, using his card to disable the lock on the Inquisitor's door. When nothing happens Kellan breathes a string of vehement curse words.

"Why isn't it working this time?!"

"I don't know. Maybe there's another way in?" I suggest, looking around. There isn't a keypad or a fingerprint scanner or anything. Just a door that requires a traditional key- something that nobody uses anymore.

"That's really odd," I state for no reason other than to have something to say. The silence is bone-chilling.

"Maybe it's not locked," Kellan suggests, placing his fingers on the handle. He stumbles backwards, almost falling to the ground as he gets shocked. He curses as he regains his composure, glaring at me as I stifle my laughter.

"Sorry. Are you okay?" I ask. Kellan nods, flexing his fingers which are probably going numb.

"How are we supposed to get the stupid files if we can't even get into the office?!" Kellan complains, still whispering. He runs his shaky hands through his thick blonde hair, and he begins pacing back and forth, trying to calm himself down. I'm staring at the words written on the door, trying to think of something when I realize that there's a small opening next to the door. It's about the size of the card Mr. Scott gave me. I step forward, taking the card from my pocket and I slip it into the slot. A few seconds pass before we hear the door unlock. I grab the card and Kellan gingerly tests the handle before opening the door.

The office is empty aside from a desk with three chairs and a couple of abstract pictures on the wall. Everything feels so much more sterile in here than in the rest of the Expound. It's sickening.
Kellan lets out a nervous laugh, as if he can't handle the pressure of this. I don't blame him. Neither can I. I'm doing this for Uncle Jinx. I have to remind myself of this as I walk towards her computer, trying to get this over with as quickly as possible.

"Mr. Scott didn't give us any pass code, did he?" Kellan asks, his words ridden with anxiety. I shake my head.

"No, but I'm willing to bet that these cards he gave us will unlock it. It's opened everything else up so far," I reply, searching for some slot or insert. There's nothing on the keyboard, and I don't see any slots big enough on the actual screen. I cry out in frustration, trying not to pull my hair out. Mr. Scott never should have sent us to do this. It's too much pressure for two mentally unstable people. I mean, whatever medication they give us has really messed me up since I've come here, and I'm sure it's done the same thing to Kellan. This is too much.

"I can't handle this!" I shout, dragging my hands down my face. I'm freaking out right now, shaking and hyperventilating and my heart won't stop pounding. This is the first time I've severely felt the effects of the medicine. Kellan looks like he's going to be sick and he too is shaking. They're starting to get to us. We have to stop.

"They're getting to us, "I affirm, meeting Kellan's gaze. He nods solemnly, staring down at his shoes.

"We need to calm down. We have to get out of here," I add quietly. He swallows and gives a bit of a nod as he tries to think of a way to hack into the computer. Valuable seconds tick by as we try everything we can think of to get into the data base. Nothing is working.

"Maybe this will unlock it," Kellan finally suggests as he reaches into his pocket and produces the small card, handing it to me. I stick the card in the obvious slot for it, and the lock screen fades away, showing the home screen.

"It worked!" I exclaim before staring blankly at the screen. What am I supposed to do now?

"Where do you think the files are kept?" I ask, feeling lost. I've never used a computer before.

"I think I know. You keep watch, I'll download the files." Kellan and I switch places as the usual sirens begin to blare. They know we're not in our cells.

"Oh for dreamer's sake! Are we ever going to catch a break?!"

"Apprently not," Kellan replies through gritted teeth, his fingers flying across the keyboard as he frantically searches for the files we're looking for. I begin searching for something to use as a weapon in case anybody finds us. My only options are a coffee mug or the placard on the Inquisitor's desk. I frown. Neither will do much damage against Kevlar and electro-batons. Looks like we're out of luck. Each painstaking second ticks by, measured by the clock hanging above the door. With each 'tick' my heart pounds faster. Drops of sweat slide down my forehead as I anticipate the most likely end. My chest is tight, my breathing is sporadic and uneven. Why can't I calm down? I wipe my clammy hands against my pants, taking a peek out into the hall. Nobody is coming. Yet.

"Have you found them yet?" I ask, turning towards Kellan. My words are panicked.

"Yeah. Just have to find one more... there you are!" Kellan exclaims victoriously as he downloads the last file. He pulls the card out of the slot and smiles at me.

"Got it!" I smile back, and I can relax a little. But our celebration is short -lived as the door slams shut behind us. Terror has seized every part of my body. Kellan's eyes are wide with fear, telling me that I don't want to know who's behind us. I hear the scuff of their shoes as they step close, letting out a cynical laugh.

"I should be surprised, but given your track records, I assumed that you the two of you would have pulled a stunt like this at some point." I shut my eyes, letting out a deep sigh of defeat. Of all the people who could have walked in on us, it had to be Dr Ripley.