chapter nine

cheyenne's p.o.v

 my world seemed like it would be falling apart. my sneakers hit the concrete sidewalk. I continued running for what seemed like forever, it never ended. everything was in slow motion, my world was in slow motion. I saw the cark parked in front of my house, the lights were on and so was the car, ready to go. I quickly approached the car, opened the door to the backseat and hopped in.

"go, drive!" i commanded as soon as i got in. my sister and brothers were in the car, my sister sat in the drivers seat, she didn't have her license yet but she was our only hope. my twin brother, connor, sat in the passenger seat and my younger brother, cole, sat in the backseat in his car seat. camila hit the gas and started driving to the hospital.

i ran into the hospital with cole on my hip, holding him and camila and connor followed behind quickly. we approached a desk, a lady, looked to be in her mid thirties sat behind it. "how can i help you?" she asked. "we're looking for our mom, emily thorton!" i said quickly. after my dad was shot and died, a few years later our mom decided to take her maiden name back. "she going into surgery right now, we can't let you in there. there's nothing i can tell you about her right now, i don't know much. you guys can take a seat in the waiting room and wait to see what the doctor says." she told us. there wasn't anything we could say or do, the lady didn't know anything other than she just went into surgery, no matter what fight we put up, it wouldn't make a difference so we all just took a seat in the waiting room. our mom was in a terrible car accident driving home from work, that's all we knew. we all remained silent in the waiting room, none of us could bring ourselves to break the silence other than cole, giggling on the other side of the waiting room playing with toys, they had for little kids. all i could do was hope and pray my mom was okay, she has four children, without her i don't think we could function properly or keep the house together, the oldest of us all is camila and she's only 17 she's not even a legal adult yet, not for a few months. then there was me and cole, fifthteen, sixteen soon, and cole, four years old. we'd all get taken away to foster home, we'd be put into the system.

---------------------------------------------------

4 hours later

we still sat in the waiting room, cole was sleeping. his head was on connors lap and he was sprawled out on the rest of the couch. carl's friend nick had dropped him off at the hospital, i told him what happened and he insisted on coming up to the hospital. now we sat on a couch together, his arms were wrapped around me and my head laid on his torso. he knew i needed comfort right now.

the doors opened, a doctor walked into the waiting room. "family of emily thorton." he said, clipboard in his hand. we all quickly stood up and rushed over to him. "yeah. that's our mom, is she gonna be okay?" camila asked him. "mrs. thorton right now is in a medically induced coma, she should be out of it within 24 hours. if she isn't out of it, then she'll be in a regular coma, not medically induced. the coma can last up to years. good news is the surgery went well, bad news is she has two broken ribs and a broken leg. there a chance she may have memory loss, she may not remember any of you. if she doesn't her memory could come back within days or may not ever com back. there's a very small chance that she will die, you don't need to worry about that. its a one out of thousand chance. it's only if she goes into a coma for a while and we will have to pull the plus, but her recovery will last up to 6 months at least." he explained everything. "okay, are we aloud to see her?" i asked. "well like i said, she's in a medically induced coma so she isn't awake, but yes you can see her, but one at a time. who wants to go first, ill show you her room." he spoke. we let camila go in first because shes the oldest and her first born. 

once again i sat in the waiting room, i sat next to carl anxious about getting to see my mom. i was next, then connor and we decided not to have cole see her like that, he didn't understand anything that was going on right now. "everythings gonna be okay." carl whispered in my ear and kissed the top of my head. "i promise." he spoke once again. i didn't say anything, i just looked up at him and lightly smiled at him. camila soon came out of the waiting room, it was my turn. carl unwrapped his arms around me and i stood up and walked through the doors with the doctor.

my feet tapped against the hospital tile floor as i entered the hospital room. the door shut leaving me and my mom. she laid on the bed hooked up to multiple machines, she didn't look herself at all. i sat in the chair next to her bed and grabbed her hand. her hand was extremely pale and cold. i wrapped my hand softly around hers.

"hi mom." i broke the silence in the room, other than the machines continuously beeping. "i was worried about, i still am." i said. "in my mind, i think you can hear me somewhere in there. i know you can hear what I'm saying. i love you mom, i really do, you're a great mother and you were a great wife to dad. you're going to be okay, i know you will be as long as you fight with everything you got mom. remember back in fourth grade i broke my leg, after falling off of our trampoline in the backyard back home. you were there for me the whole way, through doctor appointments and my recovery, i guess you didn't really have a choice." i stopped and lightly chuckled. well i'm going to be here for you the same way you were there for me. i'm going to be here the whole way through. i love you mom, i know i haven't been the perfect child. i've put you through the wringer the last two years, i'm sorry mom. uh, i'm going to go ahead and leave so connor can come in here. i love you mom, and we will all be back up here tomorrow, i love you." i spoke and kissed her hand. all i can do it hope and pray for my mom.