Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

"A bed got prepared Mr- Alex." I gave her a weak smile. We'd both spent so much time with the nurses on the ward, they knew who we were and I'd felt more at ease with them calling me Alex instead of just Mr Gaskarth.

"Doctor Robertson has just been informed, she'll be with you guys as soon as possible." I watched as a bed got wheeled up to us and carefully, I placed Charlia on top of it.

"Alex, I don't like this." Her fingers grasped the hem of my sweatshirt and I could feel the tears once more.

Don't cry.

"I know little bird. I don't either."

"You won't leave?"

Don't cry.

"Never."

Don't cry.

"Good. I love you."

Don't cry.

"I love you too."

I had to pause whilst they wheeled her away. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Taking a seat, I let my head fall in my hands as the tears finally fell.

A hand rested gently on my shoulder, it was her usual nurse, Jade.

"She looks so small and it's not right." I wasn't sure if my words made sense, but I broke and finally let out everything in the hospital corridor.

Jade sat with me for however long it took for me to calm down and she squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

"She's a fighter. The underdog. You know that we're here if you need help, you just need to ask." I nodded before wiping my face and giving her a weak smile.

"How do I look?"

"Truth or lie?" I couldn't help it, I laughed.

"Lie to me." She grinned.

"You look fantastic." I took her hand and squeezed it gratefully.

"Thank you." She simply smiled before pointing at the door that Charlia was in. I followed the silent instructions and smiled at her. She gave a weak smile back before wincing.

"C'mon kiddo. You've got this." In the silent room, my whispered words were loud. But I could tell that she appreciated them all the same.

Doctor Robertson came into the room shortly after that. I stood back to let her poke and prod Charlia, asking questions and giving a pain scale.

After a few moments, Doctor Robertson asked me to step outside. I did so, warily.

"It's worse than we thought. I'm going to book her in for an MRI, but it looks like there's more complications.

"Is it ever going to get better?" The words were out of my mouth before I'd realised and suddenly, I felt ashamed I'd even asked those words.

"She's a fighter. It will get better Mr Gaskarth, but right now, we need every miracle for that girl. Because if it's what I think it is, she's in for a very long battle."

Her words hit me harder than I'd thought. I felt my shoulders sag and I finally realised that right now, I had to pick either her, or the band. And I knew without a doubt who came first.

"Thanks Doctor Robertson."

"Not a problem. I'll get the MRI booked. I'd suggest you go home and get changed, sort out arrangements for her school and everything. She'll be fine."

I paused before nodding and making my way back into the room. She was watching me like a curious cat.

"Hey little bird, so Doctor Robertson is going to get you an MRI today so she can see the full extent of what we're dealing with."