Chapter 2 - I Paid my Girlfriend Fifteen Bucks

Would you look at her, she looks at me

She got me thinking about her constantly but she don't know how I feel

And she carries on without a doubt, I wonder if she's figured it out

I'm crazy for this girl, I'm crazy for this girl

Chapter 2 – I Paid my Girlfriend Fifteen Bucks

The flight to Boston was awfully slow. Once the plane touched the ground, I turned on my phone again and dialled Sarah’s number.

“Sarah… Pick up, pick up, pick up…” I muttered under my breath. Ringing… Still ringing… No answer. Damn!

Before the pilot could even announce that it was safe to unbuckle, I’d already hoisted myself out of my seat. The old lady sitting beside me tugged on my sleeve and said, “Sit down. The plane’s still running,” so I did.

I glanced at my navy blue celestial wrist watch, which was a gift from Sarah during my eighteenth birthday. It was ten to two in the morning. Clenching my teeth, I looked outside the window, thoughtlessly tapping my fingers on the arm rest. Maybe Sarah was already asleep, but still…

When a stewardess announced that we’d landed safely on the airport, I got up as quickly as I could, slipping the gray beanie over my head before snatching my backpack from the luggage compartment. I nudged my way against the throng of passengers and jogged to the exit where I hailed the first taxi I laid my eyes on.

“Can’t we go any faster?” I told the cab driver once we reached the outskirts of Boston.

“We’re already running at eighty, kid,” he replied smirking.

I cursed, fixing my eyes on the road. How could I explain things to Sarah? My eyes slowly drooped but I fought it. I was tired as hell but I shouldn’t sleep.

From a distance, I could see lights from a nearby theme park, a giant Ferris wheel being the most noticeable figure.

Sarah wanted to go there. She told me many times but I guess I never really gave much thought about it. When I came back from my concert tour a year ago, I thought I’d surprise her. Instead of going to some theme park like she asked, I thought I’d make it grand. A year had already passed since then but it was still fresh in my memory.

Dear Sarah,

Did you miss me? But before you answer that, will you find me first? And wear something nice.

xxx

Leon

That was the note which came with the black limo I sent to pick her up that day.

There I waited for Sarah. I took a glance at my watch. Eight ten PM. She was ten minutes late.

“Guys? Everything set?” I asked the crew who waited patiently at their assigned places. The supervisor straightened his coat and gave me a gloved thumb up.

The yacht bobbed gently with the ripples of the mid-summer tide in Gloucester Beach. There were a few people on the beach but they wouldn’t be much of the problem since I planned to cruise a bit once she got here. The moon wasn’t full, waning a little bit on the left side, like a toenail.

I paced the floor, tugging on my waist coat, loosening the bow tie around my neck, wondering whatever happened to Sarah Littman. A slight gust of salty wind blew towards my spot. It left a weird taste in my mouth. The thousands of small flickering lights along with the bouquets of blue hydrangeas lining the deck were a little dishevelled but they’d have to do. I remembered her mentioning how she loved those flowers. Said they were the color of my eyes.