Chapter 33 - The Chapter Which Isn't Really the Ending

So say goodnight, our first goodbye
I’ve only got forever and forever is fine
Just take your time
We’ll stop the clock together and know that the timing was right

                                                                                  Vegas Nights, The Cab

“I can’t believe this!” I yelled for the nth time while I paced back and forth the living room. “It doesn’t make sense! Claire almost killed Sarah!”

Dad just kept eyeing at me from the couch, his elbows on his thighs, his chin resting on the back of his hands. It was hard to see if he cared at all with the unreadable look on his face. Sighing, he ran a hand through his neatly cropped blond hair. He was tired of my ranting and I knew it. I just couldn’t make my mouth shut up.

No matter how kind, how understanding, how complex, how stupid Sarah was, I just couldn’t believe she’d let Claire off the hook just because of Nathan. And why was she protecting Nate’s feelings anyway? It wasn’t like they were really close or anything.

“It’s Sarah’s decision,” Dad said, his voice hinting of disappointment. We all wanted Claire behind bars. No doubt about that. “The least we can do is make sure Claire won’t be able to get near Sarah ever again.”

“We can’t!” I snapped, ruffling my hair. “I’m leaving, Dad. How can I protect her when I’m not here? Damn it!”

Furtively, Dad gave me a meaningful look. I knew what was going on in his mind—Matt. Once I’m gone, he’d have to take my place. A big pain in the ass, but I got to learn to hand Sarah over.

My mouth opened to yell out some more of my outburst just as the door opened. Nathan’s head protruded from the crack of the door. He must’ve seen the tension in our faces because the wild mad-scientist smirk on his face slowly pulled down as he saw us.

I kind of froze then pressed my lips into a thin line. He shouldn’t get a single idea what a backstabbing evil hag his older sister was. Let him believe his illusions that Claire was such a saint. Dad’s orders.

“What did I miss?” he asked, looking around.

Casually, I took a glance at my watch. “Look at the time. Shouldn’t we be going?”

I didn’t want to hear the answer. How could we leave at a time like this? With Sarah being alone and vulnerable and all, I didn’t think I could live with myself if anything bad happened to her again.

“We…” Dad began, deep in thought. “…still have time. Talk to Sarah,” he told me.

I nodded, about to head for the door when I heard Nate complaining. “But we’d be late for our flight!”

Dad just smiled. “We won’t be late, Nathan. Your brother’s private jet won’t go anywhere without us. We’re not in such a hurry.”

Not so antsy to go, are we? I thought bitterly. If he so much as caught a whiff of what was happening, he’d practically beg Dad for us to stay. It was just so tempting. All I had to do was tell him the truth and I won’t have to leave Sarah. Dad would gladly postpone his surgery just for him.

I cursed at myself for thinking that way. It was selfish. And wrong.

“And Leon,” Dad called me back. He drew a gift box from under the coffee table. “I thought you were going to give this to Sarah?”

“Uh, yeah,” I took the box from him and stared at it as I walked out of the house.

It was my parting present I bought some few months ago. I was planning to just leave it at Sarah’s doorstep with a short note or something before we go. But now, I’d have to think of the right words to say to her. Luckily, my mind was blank. Nice.