chapter 23

"Everything's fine Spencer." I assured him, pressing the phone closer to my ear in an attempt to hear him over everyone else in this place. I had called him after the plane landed, just like he asked, and he decided to question me like he would a suspect. He asked me everything from wanting to know if I had a headache to whether or not my feet hurt. It wasn't enough that our OB/GYN cleared me for flying-he still watched for everything that the doctors had already cleared.

"What about-?" I shook my head and cut him off with a tired laugh.

"I'm okay, I'm a little tired but I just spent hours on a metal tin can." I heard him take a breath to reply but someone called his name from the background. "Go catch the bad guys." I told him, pulling my luggage towards the exist.

"Call me before you go to bed."

"I'll do that, I love you." He repeated the words back to me and I hung up the phone. Now what the hell am I supposed to do? I had planned the entire trip up till this point, so I just bought a plane ticket. After a couple minutes of deciding what to do, I went with getting a room at a cheap motel. I've spent enough money on the plane and I'm gonna have to buy food while I'm up here so paying a ton of money for a room sounded like a stupid idea. I found a taxi and told him what I wanted.

The man looked to be older, at least 60, and he wore a ball cap that looked to be almost as old as himself. I told him where I needed him to take me and he started the meter thing.

"Where ya coming from?" He asked, tilting his head slightly in my direction but not taking his eyes off the road. I put my hand on top of my only suitcase to keep it from moving.

"Virginia." I didn't really like the fact the Sam was all the way across the country but there wasn't anything I could do about it. Spencer had worked to hard for this job for me to ask him to move back out this way and there's no way in hell I'm going anywhere without him. I'm getting ahead of myself. There's a good chance this meeting isn't going to go well, which is why I only brought a carry on bag. My plane leaves one week from today and if I really need to stay longer then that I can cross that bridge when I get to it.

Turns out that the driver, who's name happens to be Ron, was from Virginia. I couldn't really hold the conversation though, considering I've been there less then six months. But I managed to hold it until we made it to the motel.

"Here we are." He said, putting the car in park. I got out the money and handed it to him. He offered to get my bag but I declined and got out of the car. "I hope you have a safe trip." He nodded his head and drove away. The motel had a real cookie cutter feel to it as I made my way towards the office. I feel that I've stayed in enough motels to be able to add weight to that feeling. The suitcase rolled behind me with ease, Spencer had had an issue with me carrying around a regular over the shoulder bag and I didn't want to pay the luggage fee when we didn't have to. So we compromised. He went out one day and came home with a bag that made us both happy. It was small enough to be considered carry on and had wheels and a handle so I didn't have to carry it straight out.

The motel only had one more room available and it was a double, but I took it anyway. The man behind the counter seemed to be in his early twenties, like myself. He smiled at me as he handed me the room key. His face held something that made me want to get as far away from him as possible, but I resisted and took the key, doing my best not to touch him in the process. His smile faltered but he still looked creepy as hell.

"Thanks." I quickly found the room and dropped my crap on the bed. Part of me wanted to lay down and go to sleep but the other part didn't want to touch the bed spread. You never know what's clean in places like this.

It was only ten in the afternoon. I left for Virginia at nine but California is four hours behind so I couldn't even claim that it was too late in the afternoon to go and find him. But he more then likely has classes so it might be pointless. Then again, what the hell am I going to do between now and then? At least if I head over to his room and he's not there I can at least say I tried. But what if he is there? Then what do I do? What do I say? "Hey, sorry for running away and making you think I died, but I'm here now!" That didn't sound right. Do I mention the baby? It's not like I could really hide it unless I put on a looser shirt, I don't think he would miss it. I ended up changing from the sweat pants I wore for the plane ride and traded them in for jeans. I left on the black razor back and just pulled a thin white jacket over it. The tank-top left my tattoo visible. I've found that people tend to leave me alone when they can see it and considering I don't have weapons with me and that's a good thing. I pulled on a pair of regular black flats and left the motel room after calling another cab. I took about ten minutes and that gave me almost enough time to talk myself out of this whole thing.