Chapter 35

Laying under the heat lamp, I rested my chin on my hands in slight boredom. How odd, boredom never used to bother me much until I got used to being busy and working. Admittedly, I could still spend two or three hours just sunbathing, but that was beside the point.

Taureen was rolling up a section of rope. I raised my head slightly as I eyed up the end that was being pulled across the floor. Some days I wonder if this body actually has cat genes hidden in here somewhere, unless the desire to hunt just comes through in this fashion. I jumped off of the end table and snuck up behind the end of the rope, crouching down as I prepared to pounce.

Taureen slowed his rolling and was now pulling it in light jerking motions. I sprang forward to bite the end and shake it. Taureen pulled it lightly, and I rolled upside down on my back as I sunk my claws from all four feet into the end of the rope. His light pull caused my smooth scales to slide right across the soft carpet until I was near his feet.

He tied several knots in the other end of the rope and lightly tossed it further away. I swiftly rolled over and darted across the room to jump on it. I shook it before dropping it and bounding around the corner of the center table.

I waited in ambush, flattened to the ground with my ears close to my head. I carefully peeked around the corner before pulling my head back. I folded my wings tightly before running out, ricocheting off of the chair to land on the knot.

My momentum sent me rolling with it grasped in my front claws while my back ones kicked energetically at it. I chewed lightly on the rope. I dropped it like a hot potato to jump around it a few times before attacking it again.

Playfulness could get a bit out of hand in this body once it got going.

I darted around the table once more, and Taureen humored me by tugging it closer to me. Too bad for him that the rope is no longer my true target... I jumped out of my hiding spot. Moments later, I had my claws gently wrapped around his foot and ankle.

He lifted up his foot with me hanging upside down from his ankle. He chuckled. "And just what do you think that you are doing? My foot was not moving."

I made a chortling sound at him and mouthed his ankle. He reached forward to gently grab my back leg, and I transferred my attention to his hand as I wrestled with it.

Some time later, I lay panting on his lap. Wrestling with someone much larger and stronger than you was quite a workout. I looked up to see him watching me with an amused and loving expression. Since choosing to come back, I had been much more open and relaxed around Taureen. Somehow he had become the big brother that I never had.

*      *      *

Alec dropped his hand with a sigh. "I give up. She simply doesn't listen to anyone except for you."

Soranto chuckled at his failed attempt. "It took you this long to figure that out?"

Alec responded, "I was hoping that as she got familiar with me, I might have a chance if I used her favorite foods."

I slowly blinked from my place on Taureen's shoulder as Alec dropped the piece of shia fruit back into the bowl. I had refused to show any interest in the delicacy that Alec had held, much to his disappointment. I might remain in captivity willingly, but I am not a circus monkey to do tricks for everyone.

Taureen was amused and proud that I wouldn't go to anyone else, even if they held the best foods and used familiar commands. He glanced over at Alec. "Feel like heading to the central park? I am curious as to how she will act while off-leash there. She has been fine in the other parks we have tried, but I am expecting that she will take off for a short time while we are there."