Chapter 34

"-so they are in orbit using autopilot, but no one is responding to the hails. The scanners are not finding any life signs. I did send up two teams, but they came up empty, which usually means one thing..." The port master was talking with Taureen as they walked.

Taureen frowned. "Most likely sicora then, since our scanners won't pick them up and the crew is missing. What are you suggesting?"

The port master gestured to a group of a dozen heavily-armed Kymari waiting beside a shuttle. He said, "Accompany these fighters so we can figure out where that infernal creature is hiding. I don't expect you to join the fight though; the Elders will have my hide if any harm comes to your companion."

Taureen nodded. "How large is the ship?"

"It is a medium-sized cargo ship. At least twenty decks in the living quarters, although most of the vessel is a series of storage bays, which is why we are having trouble figuring out which section the sicora is in. I already have permission from Elder Dairno for you to go up with this group."

I watched the port master alertly. Finally. I was beginning to wonder if my voluntary return had jinxed my luck at finding sicora. Our patrols and inspections had turned up empty every day, even though I had returned eleven days ago.

We got on the shuttle with the fighters; Tran and Vick accompanied us as well. I gazed out of a window as the shuttle gained height and speed. I watched with interest as the city shrunk below us while we gained altitude. I could now see the shape of the land like the maps depicted.

Taureen seemed amused by my fascination with the shrinking city. Soon, I couldn't even pinpoint the city in the forest. His amusement faded as everyone stood up. The door opened, and we passed through the access door as we entered the cargo ship.

I lifted my head and took a deep breath. I narrowed my eyes and let out a rattling exhale while shifting my weight. It wasn't near, but there was definitely a sicora on this spaceship. Tran and Vick walked on either side of Taureen, while most of the fighters ranged in front of us as they ensured that the path was clear. The last few followed behind us as a rearguard.

We walked for almost an hour, and the scent never noticeably increased. The constant slight scent had me slightly out of sorts though, and Taureen and his two wingmen had undoubtedly noticed.

The scent was finally growing stronger. We entered a large four way junction, and the group continued walking straight. I lifted my nose to air and snorted. I jumped off of Taureen's shoulders, somewhat to his surprise. The group instantly stopped as they watched me.

I swiftly circled the room while testing the air. There. I came to a hover in front of the side entrance with a growl. "Tasha, shoulder." With a glance back, I reluctantly turned and flew back to Taureen's shoulder pad. Once I landed, I stared intently at that open doorway.

The group changed their direction, and the scent was definitely getting more potent. I restlessly shifted my weight, but remained on Taureen's shoulder. Taureen pulled out the short leash and clipped it onto my harness. He glanced at Tran. "I don't want her going after the sicora when the fighters have their energy weapons out."

That was probably a good idea since the sight of a sicora tended to toss most of my rational thoughts right out of the window. It wasn't long before we came to another junction, and the group paused while Taureen unclipped my leash. I flew past all of the three doors before landing on Taureen's shoulder, staring at the one doorway with an unwavering gaze.

He re-clipped my leash, and the group continued down the hallway that I had refused to look away from. Vick murmured, "How did you train her to circle like that?"