Chapter 41 ~ Small Hands, Big Heart

"Have you come to take daddy away? Who are you people", he says while starting to cry.

"No Mark. I brought you a present.", says Christian.

"Chrissy!", he lights up and ran towards Christian." What did you get me?", he says excitedly.

"I got you an older brother", smiles Christian.

"No way!", Mark says smiling.

The little boy looked at me with fear in his eyes.

I was a total stranger to him. Did I really have a younger brother? Leo then pushed me forward.

"Umm. Hi", I say to him.

"You're my older brother?", he asks.

"Yes, Mark. I'm Josh", I reply.

"I've always asked Santa for an older brother but it's not Christmas yet", he says.

"Well Santa says you've been a good boy this year so you'll get your present early", I say while getting on my knees to greet him.

He slowly walks up to me and pokes my nose.

"Your nose is big", he says.

This kid...

"Yes. I have a big nose", I smile.

"Big Brother. Mommy isn't coming home is she?", he asks tearing up.

"Umm... Mommy will be away for a little while and so will daddy", I say as I wipe his tears.

"I don't wanna be alone", he says crying.

"It's okay little guy. I'm here", I say hugging him.

"Josh", Christian calls.

Mark then walked up to Leo. Leo picked him up and Mark started pulling his hair.

"What happens to him now?", I ask Christian.

"His mother always took care of him and his dad can't take care of him in his state. Its likely social services will intervene and place him in an orphanage", Christian explains.

"No...", I respond.

"If only there was a blood relative of his that's over the age of 18", Christian smiles while looking at me.

"I knew you were going to suggest that. I have no intention of letting this child go to an orphanage", I say.

"Look at him. Look at his clothes, his scars, you left your mother so she had no one to take her rage out on, this child doesn't deserve that", Christian says.

"No. He doesn't deserve that. He reminds me of myself back when I was his age. Those ragged clothes. Those sad eyes. I used to get so happy when people came over ", I say tearing up.

"Big brother. Don't cry", says Mark running up to me grabbing my legs.

I then ruffled his hair as he smiled.

"Are you going to leave me now?", he asks.

"No Mark. You're my baby brother. I won't leave you alone", I say to him.

"Will other big brother come to?", he asks while pointing at Leo.

"Eh? Me? What?", he asks.

"Yes. He lets me pull his hair", smiles Mark.

We then both look at Leo with puppy dog eyes.

"Yea of course I'm coming", he says defeated.

"You all must be hungry. I'll go make something for you to eat", says Mark while walking into the kitchen

"You can cook?", I say while running after him.

"Yeah. Mom is never home", he says.

"You have a good vocabulary Mark", says Leo.

"Yes. I found some old books in a room upstairs. So I've been reading them", he says.

"My old books? They're still there?", I whisper.

"I'll go make something for us to eat", Mark says as his belly grumbles.

"You haven't eaten Mark?", I ask.

"No, I was waiting for mom. I wanted us to eat together", he says.

"I'll take you to the kitchen and we'll make something together.", I say to him.

"Yes big brother", he smiles.

We rummage through the kitchen but nothing edible was found.

"I'll take you out for food", I say to him.

"Out? I've never left the house.", he cowers.

"It'll be fine. I'll be right there with you.", I smile.

"Ok big brother", he smiles.

Mark was so tiny but had a big heart. He wrapped his little fingers around mine, he looked just like me when I was a child. That big innocent smile that hid the sadness inside...