Chapter 24 ~ A Nostalgic Scene

October 8th, 2016, 8:00 PM - 5 Years Later.

~Christian's Car - currently leaving Stratos Town.

"Did you get some closure Josh?", asks Christian.

"Yes, I really did. Thank you again Christian", I reply.

"Time to give Eric a chance?", he asks.

"I don't know about that.", I respond.

"You know you have feelings for him but you admit it, he's a great guy Josh.", he says.

"Yeah he really is", I say as I look out the window.

"Raincheck on our dinner plans? Something came up that I must attend to", explains Christian.

"Oh. It's okay.", I smile.

I stared out the window and we continue driving. It was a dark gloomy night. The rain won't let up, just like that night...

We finally arrive at my apartment building.

"New York a fresh start Josh. Good luck with your job on Monday. Knock em dead and Happy Birthday", he smiles.

"Thank you, Christian, I don't know what I'd ever do without you", I say to him.

As I waved him goodbye I felt as if a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I then headed up to my apartment. I guess I'll spend the rest of my night cuddled up in bed watching a horror flick. I unlock my door and entered.

My eyes then widen as I saw rose petals on the floor and candles alit, a warm orange light illuminated my apartment. I followed the rose petals as it led me to my bedroom. There on my bed was Eric.

"Happy Birthday Josh", he says to me.

"Oh my god. Eric. What is this?", I ask in shock.

"Well, you just said your last goodbyes to Leo. I thought I'd comfort you", he smiles.

"What do you even know about Leo?", I ask.

"Christian filled me in on the basics", he says while getting up.

"You didn't have to do all this", I say to him.

"On the contrary. I had to. You mean a lot to me Josh.", he smiles as he kisses my forehead.

"I can't do this ...", I say to him.

He then hugs me and says, "Yes you can Josh. You deserve so much from this world. I won't ever make you sad. Please believe me", he says whole holding me.

I then took his hand and led him to the bed as we sit.

"After Leo died. I went into a downward spiral. I became distant from my friends and barely spoke to anyone. I didn't even go to school for a while. 2 weeks after he died... I overdosed on some pills. Lily found me in time and I was rushed to the hospital. I almost died that night. I guess I couldn't deal with the pain anymore. I was under strict observation and my aunt Amy came to take care of me. She gave me an earful. I sank into a state of depression for about 2 years. Amy and Christian stuck with me through it all, they helped me out a lot. Losing him was the most painful thing I've ever had to endure. It took a huge toll on me emotionally. I've been afraid to let my walls down for anyone. I guess I'm too afraid to fall in love again... but that's wrong of me. I shouldn't be held down by the past like that, I have to pave the way to the future.", I say to Eric.

"I'll never hurt you Josh nor will I ever leave you.", he says while kissing my forehead.

"I know you won't Eric. You've been by my side for three years now. You've more than showed me your worth.", I reply while kissing him.

"So... Is that a yes?", he asks.

"Yes", I smile.

"Oh my gosh! Really?", he says excitedly.

"As much of an asshole I've been towards you, deep down I can't deny I feel something towards you", I reply.

"Okay, boyfriend. I won't let you down", he blushes.

"I'm gonna go freshen up", I smile.

"Mkay. I'll make dinner then we'll cuddle and fall asleep?", he asks.

"Yes. Thank you. That would be lovely", I reply.

I then took my clothes off and headed to the shower. I can have a bright future with Eric. He respects me and he cares for me and he's always there for me. I trust him. Its time to let my walls down. I can't be haunted by Leo forever.

I finished showering and headed outside. Eric was in the kitchen.

"Dude. What are you making?", I ask.

"A special grilled cheese sandwich", he replies.

"Wha... What? Why grilled cheese?", I ask puzzled.

"Trust me. My grilled cheese is amazing. I add mustard and lettuce to it. Gives it a nice taste", he replies.

I then freeze and look around...

Candles alit? Candlelight dinner? My signature grilled cheese sandwich? A cold rainy night?

What is this nostalgic scene? Is this a mere coincidence?

"Babe. What's wrong?", he asks.

"Oh, it's nothing. I'm just tired", I smile.

What was really going on here?

We had our candlelight dinner, the grilled cheese had the same taste as mines. I mean it's a universal recipe but is this really just a weird coincidence?

"Are you really okay? Your really quiet", he asks.

"Oh. I'm fine. This is just so nice.", I respond.

After dinner, we then went to my room, as promised we both cuddle up in bed.

"It'll be okay Josh. I'll never hurt you.", he says holding me tight.

"I know you won't", I reply.

Why do I get the gut feeling that something wrong here? Why does it seem that Eric knows so much about my past? How much did Christian tell him? Do I really want to know? I worry less about it as I fell asleep ...