Chapter 13

Ryker and I walked together through the dense pine forest. After we had moved far enough away from the castle grounds Ryker slowed. Turning to me he smiled once again. "I'm going to go shift, I will be back in a moment you can decide if your running or riding." Without waiting for an answer he walked away into the trees. My heart raced, shifted wolves were massive, I could only imagine how large Ryker would be as the King. 

Never in my life had I been on a pack run or any run with a wolf let alone road one. There was no way I could keep up with him if I ran through. Even though I was a shifter a lot of my strength was locked away because I couldn't shift. I don't want to slow him down, he needs this before we are forced to go back in for dinner. Making up my mind I turned back to the group of trees I had watched Ryker go to. 

A few moments later Ryker stepped out. And good lord he was massive. By far the largest wolf I had ever seen, his coat was a deep auburn with streaks of gold highlighting it. He was easily the size of a small car. Slowly he approached me, his large wolf head lowered to my level. I knew he was doing his best not to startle me, but I was more shocked by his wolf form than startled. Walking towards him I reached out a hand. Pressing it against his muzzle I feel the soft fur under my palm. A soft rumble, nearly purr like shook from his chest. Smiling I reached up and scratched behind his ear. Ryker leaned even closer pressing his head against my touch. The purring rumble grew louder. "You're amazing Ryker." I all but whisper. 

He pulls away slowly from me, his now fully silver eyes meeting mine. Turning away from me he lowered himself onto the ground. Glancing back over his shoulder at me he waited. It was as if he was daring me to hop on. Too bad for him I had already made up my mind. Not hesitating for a moment I moved forward pulling myself up onto his back. Moving forward I situated myself on his back. It was surprisingly comfortable, his plush fur cushioned my seat as I leaned forward to bury my hands in his coat to hang on. My head rested between his powerful shoulders, arms wrapped around his thick neck. 

Slowly Ryker stood, moving again I made sure to wrap my legs around his wide chest as best I could. He turned his head towards me making sure I was ready. Nodding my head against his fur Ryker turned back to the woods in front of us. My heart was all but jumping from my ribs, but I knew Ryker wouldn't let me fall.

We dashed through the forest, at first I tried to watch as we ran but the movement of the trees, as well as the speed we traveled, began to make my stomach queasy. Burying my face in his soft coat I closed my eyes and just held on tight. At a few points when Ryker would have to drop down or go over something in our path, I would have a brief feeling as if I were flying. I can't lie even though it was a bit terrifying this was the best I had ever felt. The wind raced past us at an unbelievable rate, and the soft strength of Ryker surrounded me. Never in my life had I felt so free. 

Pressing up closer to Ryker's large wolf head I simply whispered "thank you" to him as he continued through the dense pines. He seemed to falter for a moment before picking up even more speed. Laughing now I held on tight to him, pressing as close as I could. Even with the strong icy wind, his dense coat kept me warm. 

We ran for what must have been an hour before I felt him slow beneath me. Opening my eyes a crack, seeing that we weren't moving at lightning speed anymore I lifted my head to look around us. A small clearing surrounded us, with a few rocks in the center. It was so peacefully quiet here. Nothing but the sounds of birds, and a far offspring reached my ears. Ryker moved towards the rocks before he came to a slow stop. Allowing me to slide off onto the rocks ending the crystalline water

Climbing down to the bank I sat in the soft green grass, turning to Ryker I wondered if he would shift, at that thought a blush covered my cheeks. His eyes bore into me for a moment as if sensing my thoughts. Instead of shifting back Ryker moved towards me wrapping around my back to rest his head on my legs. His wolf form was so large that he easily encircled me. Having his solid warmth around me was relaxing. 

Leaning back into the plush fur of his side I ran my hand over his head petting him softly. A contented rumble shook through me as I rubbed behind his ears. A soft chuckle escaped my lips.  Ryker just shifted closer to me pressing his head into my hand. Closing my eyes I continued to run my hand through his dense fur. It wasn't long before we both drifted off. 

_________________________________________________________________

Hello my loves! Sorry, it's been so long. I have a few more chapters prepped so you will have some more updates soon. Thank you!