Chapter 10

Our steps echoed as we made our way through the main hall. Ryker guides me to a pair of ornate wooden doors, they swung open before us revealing a massive dining room with the largest table I had ever seen. It could easily sit well over one hundred people. Glancing around the room I only saw a few dozen people milling around the room. 

Collectively they turned and bowed as we made our way deeper into the hall. I still felt a tingle of wariness slid up my back at the number of people looking me over. Especially as a group of women caught my eye. They were all out glaring at me not even bothering to hide their distaste in the slightest. 

After a few people came up to greet Ryker he walked us to the table's head. Pulling out a chair to the left of the end of the table he gestured for me to take a seat. Sitting Ryker helped me move the chair, then he walked to the head of the table and took his seat. Allround me people murmured and muttered under their breath, I wasn't able to catch most of it but my face heated feeling as though they were talking about me. 

Ryker waved his hand, a moment later servants began to bring out trays of food. They set them along the table everyone watching as they uncovered each dish. When the one before me opened I quickly reached out and grabbed a slice of meat putting it onto my plate. My stomach growled in hunger as I reached down to pick up my fork. It was then when I realized how silent the room had gone. Looking up I saw that everyone was starring at me in horror. Looking back and forth between people I was confused. What had I done wrong? Turning to Ryker the question clearly painted on my face he just smiled at me before reaching out, taking some food for his own plate. 

As soon as he began to eat everyone else reached for their food. My cheeks flamed at the mistake I had made. Of course, I shouldn't eat before the prince, what was I thinking? Looking down at my plate in embarrassment, I felt a hand on mine. Glancing up to Ryker he smiled at me in reassurance giving me a small nod. He then turned back to his plate. 

Lifting my fork I began to eat the stake, getting more comfortable. All the food was delicious, honestly, it was the best I had ever had. After a few more minutes I got more comfortable, so I loaded up my plate with even more of the delicious food. 

After most people had finished their meals Ryker stood. Clearing his throat he began to address the table. "In a few day's time, I will be calling a meeting of the alphas. Word will be sent to all the packs to have their Alphas or representatives sent to the palace. There is much to be done, my office will be open later today for any of you that wish to speak to me." With that Ryker turned to me holding out his hand to me, rising I took it. Together we walked out of the dining hall. 

As soon as the doors closed behind us I felt both of us relax a bit. The air that had been so full of tension finally relaxes slightly. Ryker squeezed my hand, pulling my arm so that I was closer to his side. Moving us together we went down a new hall. "Where are we going?" I asked him a slight chuckle coating my words. 

Looking up to meet his soft grey gaze I saw the look on his face, it shinned with pain, sorrow coating him. Confusion filled me as he looked away from me pulling us down a short flight of stairs. Exiting out a door together we walked down a long dark tunnel, light shinned at the end of it. As soon as we exited the tunnel a wave of fresh cool air flowed over us, light streaming between the evergreens surrounding us. 

Letting go of my hand he stepped away from me. I watched as he ran his hands through his hair taking in deep breaths to calm himself. Moving towards him I wrapped my arms around him, resting my head on his back. Ryker slumped to the ground in my arms, I went with him as he fell to his knees. Holding him tightly pressing closer to his back. Beneath my cheek, his back quaked with silent tears. 

Giving him time I didn't press him for answers as he slowly quieted. I felt him take in a few deep breaths before gently breaking away from my hold. "Ryker?" I questioned him softly. "It's that fucking room! I couldn't stand to be there any longer, I just couldn't bare it anymore." His voice shock, confusion worked through me. What did the room have to do with how he was acting? was it the people? Then it hit me. His parents, his family was that where they died? He hadn't told me the specifics, I had never wanted to ask either the last thing I wanted was to cause any more pain for him. 

"Feet from the very table we just sat at eating I watched my mother's throat slashed open. As she as well as countless others died. I don't know how any of them can stand to be in that room, it feels haunting. " Moving around Ryker I placed my hands on either side of his cheeks. Running my thumbs over them, wiping away his tears. Pressing my forehead to his I whispered to him "It's not your fault, we never have to go in there again, I promise." 

Ryker pulled me to him in a tight hug, he pressed a tender kiss to my forehead. My knees all but melting under me as I pressed my head close under his chin. "I'm so thankful to have you here Rose, I don't think I could have done this without you," Ryker said quietly into my hair. 

"Without you, I would have been wasting away in that horrible house for god knows how long. You saved me, Ryker, I don't know if I could have ever left on my own let alone made it this far. " I pulled away from his embrace, stepping up onto my tiptoes I kissed his cheek. "Come it's getting dark we better head back, I don't want your people to worry," I said linking our hands together, pulling him with me back to the castle. 

----------------------------------------------

Thanks so much for reading! Please comment and vote! I love reading all your comments! 

XOXO,

S.L Holland