01 | Chapter One

C H A P T E R   O N E

Let's just say that today wasn't the best day for Melissa Darnell

In fact since morning, there was no sign that her day was going to be other than crappy. The coffee maker refused to cooperate and she almost tarnished her academic record by being late. Not to mention the unspeakable incident that just occurred.

Melissa was staring at her own knuckles which were already reddening after punching someone from the eventual bruise and blood stains. Grateful that there's no one on her sight range, Melissa decided that it was probably better to stop hiding inside the library.

"Shit," she muttered under her breath. "I guess I need to wash my hands off these blood stains."

Usually, Melissa's caution for trouble and calamity would save her day from spiraling down further. At the same time, it could be the source of her damnation. Regardless Melissa's cautiousness which didn't let her commit any mistake, there were too many moments which her mistake stemmed from her tendency to play safe.

"Melissa?"

Inwardly Melissa cursed for herself. God why the hell she decided to hide in the library? Of course that was the very first place someone would search for her if they were looking. It was a common knowledge that Melissa Darnell considered studying and reading as a solace instead of burden.

She hastily fished her hands into her pants' pocket, trying not to cringe from the pain that emanated from her knuckles. Apparently she still needed to learn how to punch someone's face without hurting her own hands.

Relief seeped into her as Melissa faced Piper Hollis, her best friend. "Yeah, it's me Piper. Like there is another person who would spend their time inside the library."

"You do know that you're on a spot where couples hooking up, right?"

"I think I picked a very bad hiding place, don't I?"

Piper laughed, her voice sounding melodic. Melissa couldn't help but gave her friend a stare. Every single thing about Piper was very enchanting. Blonde locks, slender body and blue eyes, Piper had the entire perfect recipe for an ethereal beauty. Sometimes it was a gift, sometimes it was the other way around.

Being Piper Hollis' friend made Melissa realized that even possessing bewitching beauty like Piper's could attract unwanted attention. Sometimes Melissa was grateful for giving off quiet and bitchy vibe which stray many from her path.

"That you do, Mel. You really did give Evan a punch in the face."

"No shit, about that. It doesn't take a Sherlock that I just got into a brawl with a guy bigger than me."

Piper said nothing as she helped pulling Melissa who was sat on the library's floor. Melissa could notice Piper's tenderness dealing with her. She quite literally couldn't understand why someone like Piper Hollis who was perfect in every way possible (although it was acknowledged that Piper kind of lacked in brain power) would want to be her friend.