Chapter Twenty-four

Tony

"Hey Clint, thanks for dropping me off," I say to my friend in the driver's seat.

"It's no problem man, anything to help ya out. Especially when it comes to a date that I've been waiting to see happen for what feels like YEARS." He looks to me with an appreciative grin on his face.

I let out a huff, "Clint, I really don't think this is a date. Steve and I hang out all of the time just the two of us, I mean honestly. It's just coffee. Two people can platonically get coffee. It's not a strange thing to do."

I feel my palms begin to moisten a bit. I haven't told Clint about the way that Steve kissed me at my party a few nights ago. I've barely confronted the whole situation in my own mind yet. Steve has sent me several texts regarding the event, but I've left them unread. The football team practicing in the gym, that has been the only time I've talked to him since the party. My eyes were glued to his body the entire time, but the feeling in my stomach as I watched him practice was not at all the typical feeling I have when I'm with Steve. No, it's usually these light butterflies that give me a giddy feeling. In the gym it was almost like this hole in my stomach. With every sharp breath that Steve would let out that hole just felt as though it were being dug deeper, and deeper.

"Well, you know how I feel about the whole thing. Bruce too. You don't treat him like us, Tony. You're different with him. I feel like Pepper is around again," Clint states indignantly.

I whip my head towards him, "If we were in that situation, I wouldn't bring up my ex if I were you."

Clint sighs, "Hey, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about how I've been lately, actually."

I raise my eyebrows, "What do you mean?"

His head drops a bit and he breaks eye contact with me. His left foot begins to tap softly out of what seems to be nervousness, which Clint never does. I think the last time that I saw him actually nervous was when he first talked to Pietro.

He takes a deep breath, "After your party, which I had a great time at, I was driving home and that's when I realized I had hardly seen you the entire night. I felt so guilty, Tony. I didn't even realize that my best friend wasn't there with me because I was so caught up in the party that I've been begging for since the beginning of the year. I realized how much pressure I've been putting on you not only about dating and partying, but about Steve. I can't imagine how much stress that gave you, especially considering it came from one of your best friends. Listen bro, I'm just trying to say that I'm sorry for how I've been acting. Just now that I'm a bit more grounded now, and I'm here for you, man. No matter what."

He pushed the words out as though they had been bottled up inside of him for some time now. His eyes don't leave his lap, and his face stays solemn.

"Clint," I choke out "thank you. Thank you, but don't apologize for who you are. I know that the party, getting back out there, and everything else that you want me to do has my best interest in your mind. I know you want the best for me, and I appreciate that. But I can appreciate your guts to be able to admit how it might of hurt me. Thanks, man. I know you're there for me. There's nothing to worry about between us. Just keep being your annoying ass self, and I'll always be happy." I laugh as I start the last sentence and push his shoulder a bit, which finally makes him crack a smile.

"I'm glad you're my best friend," he states, finally looking me in the eyes.

I open my mouth to say something, but I see Steve's truck pull up next to us. That hole in my stomach immediately comes back, replacing the joy that I had from talking with Clint. I take in a sharp breath and freeze, my eyes glued on Steve stepping out of the truck.

"Well man, have fun," Clint tells me, his goofy smile is now plastered back onto his face.

Steve opens my door for me. I hadn't realized it, but it started to rain while Clint and I were talking. I shiver a bit as the cool water touches my skin. Steve waves to Clint and shuts the car door for me.

"Oh I'm sorry, I don't want you to get all wet," Steve says. He rests his hand on my lower back in order to guide me to the door of the coffee shop quickly, like I can't walk on my own. I flinch a bit at his touch, but I allow it.

"I'm sorry I was a bit late, I just had to change a few times, and that's why I couldn't pick you up like I said. I'm glad Clint was able to, though," Steve tells me in a shaky voice.

I twist my face in confusion, but I don't reply. I don't think I could talk if I wanted to right now. The hole in my stomach feels like it's sinking so deep that it's making my throat tighten up.

Once we reach the door of the coffee shop, Steve opens the wooden door for me and I rush in to avoid getting any more wet. My heart begins to race. I can feel the thudding of it in my ears and my fingertips.

As Steve makes his own way into the shop, his shoulder lightly grazes my own body, and my beating heart feels as though it is about to leap out of my chest.

Don't panic. Don't panic. Do not have an attack right now.

I look up to see Steve's smirk, he seems comfortable and confident. He looks like he doesn't have a single care in the world. Maybe he won't bring up the kiss. Maybe he invited me out just to prove that we can hang out on our own and the whole thing is behind us. My breathing begins to slow at this thought.

Yes. The whole thing is behind us. Steve and I are just friends. There is nothing to worry about. We're okay. I'm okay.

"Shall we order?" He asks, his voice silky smooth.

I nod my head in agreement. I'm still too nervous that if I try to speak to him that my voice will come out shrill. He walks in front of me to the barista. I don't listen to his order, I simply stand behind him and stay in my own headspace in order to calm myself down. I focus on breathing and keeping my balance.

We're okay. I'm okay.

"Oh and, I'll pay for his too," I hear Steve say as he lightly places his hand on my shoulder and makes way for me to talk to the barista.

Uh oh. Why is he paying for me? It's fine. It doesn't have to mean anything. I paid for his meal when he met me at that restaurant before, and it meant nothing then. He's just trying to be nice.

I try to focus my eyes on a chalkboard hanging above the barista's head to see what sort of drinks the have, but my eyes refuse to glue onto the words, but rather on Steve who still has his hand on my shoulder.

"Coffee. Black," are the only words I'm able to spit out.

The young girl immediately turns around to make our drinks while Steve puts his card into the reader. His hands are so big compared to his wallet. I remember feeling some callouses on them when he first put his jacket on me at the party. Shit, I forgot to grab his jacket to give back to him.

"You go ahead and find us a seat, I'll bring over both of our drinks," he says nonchalantly.

I nod and walk towards a table for two that is right next to a large window that looks out onto a park that is near the shop. I keep my eyes on Steve as he is waiting for our drinks. Even through the light jacket he's wearing, I can see his back perfectly arch up into his muscle-ridden shoulders. Jesus, I hadn't noticed things like that until I saw him shirtless.

He finally gets the drinks and makes his way over to me. I manage a smile as he sits down, placing my plain mug of coffee in front of me. For a minute, everything feels okay. Like we're just friends hanging out like we always-

"So about that kiss," he spits out.