Chapter Twelve

Steve

"Steve, I've hardly even seen you! You've been with that Stark kid. What made you want to be his friend all of a sudden?" Bucky asks from the swivel chair that he is sitting in in front of his desk.

"I've always wanted to be his friend, Buck. You've known this. Ever since freshman year I've wanted to be at the top of the pyramid like he was," I say from his bed. I begin to twiddle my fingers at the thought of Tony.

Bucky spins in his chair, "Yeah, and you're there now. And your Daddy didn't pay for you to be popular."

"Hey now, he's so much more than his family."

"So? He's a nothing now. And I've heard that he does bad drugs. You shouldn't be apart of that, Steve," Bucky says, jabbing a finger in my direction.

"Buck, he smokes weed. It's legal for medical uses in this state, and half the people in the school smoke it," I say, crossing my arms.

"Really? That weird kid, Viktor, told me that he started to do crack."

I gasp, "Buck! You know, you need to stop being so overprotective over me."

"Well, I can't help it. Everyone wants a piece of you now because you're the captain of the football team. No one even knew who you were when you did all of your art stuff, only I knew."

I stand up, "Bro, you've been there for me. But I'm aloud to have other friends! Just the other night, I fell asleep talking to him on the phone. He's a nice guy!"

Bucky stops spinning and stares intently at me, "Nice guy? He used to hate you! But I know you, and you can't stand someone not thinking that you're the greatest person in the world."

"It's not that I can't stand it, they just need to learn the facts," I state.

Bucky laughs and looks up to me with hopeful eyes, "You are one of the most stubborn men I have ever met."

"You know what? You're going to meet him!" I exclaim while grabbing his shoulder and jerking him up.

"What? Steve, no. We're supposed to watch the game later on today," he tells me while jerking his body away.

"Bucky, you know I don't like watching football. Only playing."

He plops back down in his swivel chair and crosses his arm, "No, I don't want to be all buddy buddy with Tony Stark."

I sigh and look down at the floor, then back at him, "Fine, I'll go by myself. But if you don't come with me I'm going to tell Thor how you and Sam-"

"OKAY, OKAY! I'll go with you! Just don't tell anyone anything."

I laugh as he stands up. Works every time.

As we're driving in my truck, I call Tony and put him on speaker as soon as he answers.

"Hey, Tony!" I say with a smile.

"Ayyyeee, Steve," he replies.

Just from his tone of voice, I can tell that he is high as a kite.

"I was thinking my buddy Bucky and I could come hang out for a while?"

Tony doesn't reply, he instead begins talking to someone outside of our conversation.

"Uh, is he cool?" Tony asks.

Bucky looks over and shoots one of his eyebrows straight up.

I laugh at his manner, "Yeah, yeah he's cool."