Chapter Seven

Steve

I walk out the front doors of the school, letting my eyes search for Tony in the crowd of several highschoolers.

"Hey, Steve! Wanna hang out? There's this-" Bucky begins from the left of me all of a sudden, but I interrupt.

"Not today, Buck. I have to finish this paper with Tony Stark," I tell him, still letting my eyes scour the crowd of kids trying to go home.

"Tony Stark? You know he's like a genius, right? Just make him do it himself." He tells me, tugging at my arm a bit.

"No, Bucky. He thinks I'm a dick and I have to change that."

"Poor Steve always putting up a fight to have a good reputation. Can't you let just one person think you're the bad guy?" Bucky declares, obviously really wanting me to hang out with him.

I sigh and look around to see Tony walking out of the main doors of the school with his two friends. I disregard Bucky and rush towards him.

"Hey Tony! You ready?" I ask with eagerness weaved into my tone.

I notice that his blond friend looks pleasantly surprised at my sudden intrusion. Whatever, he's seemed strange since the first time I met him.

"Rogers, I told you I could do this my-"

"Tony, no. I am helping you no matter what. Now I'll drive you to my house and I'll even buy you pizza later," I tell him, wondering why I am actually bribing someone with food so I can do homework.

Tony raises one eyebrow then sighs, "Alright, fine. Only because I want to."

"Finally some acceptance. Let's go," I say, coaxing him away from his two friends before he can change his mind.

As Tony walks with me towards my truck, I can already see some resistance. I can't tell if it's nerves or if he genuinely dislikes me that much.

"This is your car?" He says when we arrive to my ride.

"Well, truck. Yeah it is." I say while opening my door and leaning over to unlock Tony's.

"It's nice and all, but I think I'll stick with driving my Kia." Tony tells me as he walks to his red car that is parked no too far from mine.

I shrug and start my car to pull out of the school with Tony driving behind me.

As I drive, I begin to think about how Tony will feel at my house. Comfortable, I'm hoping. I know how much he dislikes me and I don't want to strengthen that hate with him feeling uncomfortable at my house.

In only a few minutes, I arrive to my house in suburbia. As I pull up into my large driveway Tony follows behind me and we get out at the same time with our backpacks. I guide him to my front door in silence.

When we walk in I immediately lead Tony upstairs to my bedroom, not even bothering to let him meet my parents.

As I grab his shoulder and lead him up I can see him glance around at the aspects of my home. When we get to the top, he speaks,

"Your house is, uh, nice."

"I know you live in a mansion, you don't have to lie," I say as I begin to walk to my room with Tony behind me. He doesn't answer and I push my door open to show my room that's cluttered with sports equipment and drawings I do in my free time.

Tony pushes past me and immediately goes to my desk to look at some of my art.

"You drew this, Rogers?" He holds up a drawing that I did in pencil of a man in an army uniform.