Chapter One

Flashback*

"Hey Ja Ja, you need help?" I heard someone ask as I struggled to get my grocery bags in the house.

I turned and saw that it was my old friend Nate.

"Hey Nate! And yes please. You know how it is when you only tryin to take one trip" I said with a sigh.

He laughed and helped me put the bags in the house, after we talked and caught up for a little bit.

"So what made you stop by? I haven't seen you in a while." I asked him as I was putting the food away.

" I just wanted to check up on you and my niece. Where is she anyway?" He asked looking around.

"She's at my mothers, she begged to spend the night at her Nanna's house." I said laughing

He chuckled and said, "Only because she spoils her to death."

I agreed and suddenly it got quiet, so I look at him and he seemed nervous.

"Nate, what's wrong?" I asked getting nervous myself.

"I have to tell you something." He said looking me in my eyes. Now I was really scared.

I stood up straight waiting for him to tell me whatever he was going to tell me, but instead he asked me a question I wasn't prepared for.

"So did you know Chris gets out in a few days?" Nate asked softly.

Suddenly I couldn't breathe and my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest.

"What!? I thought he had 6 years!," I said panicking.

"His brother told me he's getting out on parole for good behavior"

I just knew I had to leave town, I couldn't risk running into him or him finding out about my daughter. I have to go.

I looked up at Nate and told him he had to leave.

"Ok, but keep in touch ok? Anything you need, I got you" he said hugging me.

I nodded and let him out. What the hell am I going to do?

Flashback Over*

"Los Angeles to New York is now ready to board." I heard over the intercom.

I gathered me and Lani's things so we could get a good seat on the plane and of course she's still asking a million questions.

"Mommy, why are we getting on a plane again?" She asked for the tenth time.

"Lani baby, I told you ten times already." I said calmly, but getting frustrated. I was scared and stressed out right now and having a 5 year old drill you doesn't help.

"I know mommy, but I don't remember." Lani said as we took our seats.

"We're going to New York baby. Where there's snow and stuff, remember?" I said hoping she would stop asking me stuff.

"Oh yea! And so the monsters won't find us, right mommy? She asked.

"Yes pumpkin" I answered

I was trying to hold off telling her that we are leave so her daddy, the monster doesn't find us. Which isn't that hard since she's young and doesn't even know she has a father.