40. Arthur Shelby Senior

Start from the beginning

"Black star. What does that mean?" Grace asked.

Kiara could just faintly hear their voices as she came from outback and now stood behind the bar.

"Black star day... is the day we take out Billy Kimber and his men. No-one knows this."

"Not even your family?"

Tommy scoffed as he turned his back. "Kiara knows everything, everyone else... everyone else hates me. Why would I tell them?" He asked before walking out.

Tommy didn't hesitate as he walked out of the office, saw his wife, kept walking and kissed her on the cheek, knowing she had heard.

"Be nice." He whispered, almost playfully.

Her unimpressed glare was more than enough, so she said nothing. He knew she wasn't happy with Grace knowing, but she had promised to bite her tongue on the matter.

"I've got a little more stock take to do. I'll be home right after. You go ahead, I'll see you there."

Tommy shook his head. "And do what? Take in the death glares everyone will be giving me? I'll wait. Have a drink while I do."

Kiara poured her husband a drink and got back to work. She said nothing to Grace. The barmaid continued with the books while Kiara did the stock, she then gave the blonde the numbers, said a brief goodbye and walked out the door with her husband. This was as nice as she could be at the moment.

Tommy placed his cap on his head once they were out in the daylight and began to make their trip home. When they got there Kiara took his cap for him and hung it up, taking off her coat and hanging it up beside the hat while Tommy went ahead, hearing voices in the dining room.

"Well, speak of the devil." A voice Kiara didn't recognise said as Tommy stopped in the doorway to the dining room. "How are you, son?"

Kiara's eyes narrowed curiously as she followed after her husband, slowly stepped around the corner until she stood off to the side and just behind him, seeing what had made him stop in his tracks. She may not have recognised his voice, but she certainly recognised his face... Arthur Shelby... senior. He had walked out on the family ten years prior when her and John were 14. Finn had barely been a year old.

"And who's this?" His eyes landed on the girl he didn't know was his daughter in law. There was a brief moment of silence before recognition crossed his face as he glanced over to John. "My, my... Kiara Donoghue?"

"She's a Shelby now." Polly informed.

"Could have put money on that happening." He smiled as he took in his daughter in law once again and looking between her and Tommy, realising it was her and Tommy that had married. His head slightly inclined to where John stood rigid and cold before smiling and outstretching his arms towards Tommy and Kiara. "Well... congratulations."

Tommy shook his head and nodded towards the door, "Get out." He said simply before his father could say another word.

"Come on, son. I'm a changed man." He held out his arms once again with a slight warm smile.

"This family needed you 10 years ago." Tommy stated. "And you walked out on us. Not now. Get out of this house."

"Tommy..." Arthur (junior) started, "he's different."

"Shut up." Tommy said sternly, not at all wanted this up for discussion.

"It's all right, son." The eldest Shelby nodded towards his eldest son. "Arthur Shelby... never stays where he's not welcome." He inhaled sharply as he looked over to Tommy. "Quite something you've become." He nodded. He began to walk for the door, scuffing up Finn's hair as he did and throwing him a brief, "Goodbye, son." While John stood next to his younger brother. Finn looked down the corridor at his father until John lightly grabbed his shoulder and pulled him back to stop him from doing it, just as indifferent to his father as Tommy was.