8. You Said Compete

Well they thought they were made for each other

One thinking of one another

Never thinking just for one second

She would take a different attraction

- I Can't Go On Without You, by Kaleo

It was two days after Kiara's meeting with Thomas behind the Garrison. She was now back at work and Harry had told her to take Thomas Shelby a glass of whisky as he sat in the private booth alone, waiting for his brothers and Riley.

She walked in in silence, placed the glass on the table before he looked up at her, keeping his eyes trained firmly on her face while she didn't say a word. Then she turned to leave.

"You seem put out." He stated as she took her first step.

Kiara spun around on her heels, hair flying over her shoulder as she daggered him with a cold glare that caused him to grin. She had never come close to looking at him like that before and he decided that it was quite an attractive look.

"You beat him up." She spat.

"You said compete." Thomas shrugged with a content grin.

"Donovan's terrified of me." She stated. "He thinks I sent you as my way of calling things off."

"Hmm. How odd." Thomas contemplated. "I wonder what would have given him that impression.

"You're an ass."

"You didn't like him."

"That's not..."

"It's entirely the point." He cut her off. "I did you a favour and I saved him from your brother."

"What about yourself? How are you going to save yourself from my brother, hmm?"

"I'm his best friend." Thomas said smugly.

"Exactly. Bigger betrayal." She shot back as Thomas got out of his chair, stepping towards her.

Kiara backed up until she hit a wall... another wall and he leaned down, but stopped. Barely an inch away from her lips he stopped. She could feel his breathe and she had to swallow back a lump in her throat.

But then she closed the distance, unable to stop herself. It lasted half as long as their last kiss, the two up them ripping apart when the door to the back room swung open. John Shelby walked in and looked between them in confusion, having seen their fast reactions and glancing over at Kiara as she once again straightened out her dress. Arthur and Riley then came in after them, talking amongst themselves and completely oblivious to a still gaping John who just stared in shock.

Kiara cleared her throat. "Does anyone else want a drink?" She asked as if that's all she had been doing in there, taking Tommy a drink.

"Yeah, bring us a bottle and three more glasses, K." Riley said with a smile.

"Sure thing." She nodded before briskly leaving, John's eyes on her the whole time. Once she was out of sight he turned to his brother. Thomas only held eye contact for a moment before turning to the other two and sitting down with them.

John left, using an excuse of wanting to help Kiara with the glasses. He came up beside her at the bar as Harry went to grab the whiskey tumblers for her to take.

"What the hell was that?" John asked in a hushed tone, but clearly not happy.

"Nothing." She said with a cover smile, but refused to look at him.

"Nothing?" He echoed. "Don't lie to me, K. I know what I saw."

"So?" She turned on him, finally making eye contact. "What of it?"

"You're kidding right? Tommy? Of all fucking people it has to be him?"

"John, I..." She shook her head, "what the hell are you on about?" He gave her a disbelieving look as he slowly shook his head at her.

"Your glasses." Harry unknowingly interrupted, sliding them towards the two.

John's jaw clenched before he grabbed the three glasses and bottle, taking them all himself.