Chapter Five - Bedroom

As I walked up the creaky steps, I had all eyes on me. It felt like the three of them were looking straight through me or directly into my soul. They all gave me the creeps and goosebumps, even Livia. Every time I looked at her, I didn't see the girl that I grew up with. I needed to know what happened to her bright, beautiful eyes or her wavy beach curls. I missed my sister, but I didn't want her back this way. 

Placing my hand on the doorway, a stench stung my nose. I gagged, pushing myself away from the door. Each hair on my body stood straight up like a porcupine's needles and every instinct told me to turn back. I had to be dreaming and it was time to wake up. I felt a hard hand on my back and before I knew it, my face literally hit the ground when I was shoved forward into the house. Behind me, I could hear snickering. 

"Jeff!" Shouted Livia, giving her boyfriend a light slap in the arm. I got up off the filthy ground, wiping the dirt off my torn jeans and shirt. It was a warm welcome from a mass murderer, I guess. The dog followed me into the house, padding after me and walking into the next room. The lights were on. 

The group followed after me and Jeff shut the door behind them. He was careful to lock it. Livia approached me, giving a gentle touch on my arm yet her fingers still felt cold. "Come to the kitchen, we can talk." She said in a quiet tone. It was obvious that she knew I didn't see her in the same light anymore and she was doing her best to be a big sister and calm my nerves. However, my hands couldn't stop shaking. I could feel every inch of my skin crawling and every time she looked at me, it was like staring at Death himself. My heart clenched with fear, I had Livia walk me into the room that Smile had run into. 

It was a rundown kitchen, there was nothing fancy or modern about it. It looked as if no one had cleaned in centuries, and honestly, I wouldn't doubt it. The wallpaper seemed to be peeling off, the counters and floor covered in mud and red stains, and the smell of rotting death came from the fridge. Smile chewed on a bone in the corner of the kitchen, hungrily tearing at the marrow and little flesh left. I passed the fridge, not bothering to look for something inside when it smelled like that. I sat at the table, the chair creaking under my weight. Surprisingly, the table was clear besides the red stains dripped over the wood. Livia sat across from me, her eyes still piercing into me. Jeff and Jack completely ignored us and continued walking down the hall, away from the kitchen. 

"You probably have a lot of questions." Livia said, putting her hands together on the table. Her nails were caked in dried blood and dirt. Her nails looked like claws. 

My gaze met hers, but still even in the presence of my own sister, it was hard to keep the sweat from coming down my neck. "Who are you?" I asked, still in denial. 

She seemed disappointed by my question. "You already know that." She responded, reaching forward with a hand. I pulled back, not wanting her to touch me. 

"What happened to you?" I continued. 

She pulled back her hand, hurt by my actions. Her gaze went down. "After everything had happened, mom and dad left. They left us without even looking for us. I was just a minor, I couldn't buy a home and keep you safe. I left you wish Ash because I knew he could take care of you. Once I thought you were safe, I left to live with Jack and Jeff. I've been here with the guys ever since. I made some modifications to myself and Jack is so smart, we experimented together. I became what I am today." She answered my question nonchalantly, her demonic voice sending chills up my spine. 

I looked at her hard. "Why didn't you come back for me? Ash was a piece of shit." I snapped. 

"You were a kid! What was I supposed to do? Bring you here? Do you know what kind of things we are?" She yelled back, and for a moment I thought I saw tears welling up in her eyes when she looked at me. Disappointment clouded her face but I wasn't sure if it was in me or herself. 

I stood up from the table, turning my back to her. "Murderers. Isn't that it?" 

The room was silent for a few moments. The only thing I could hear was my own shallow breath. Out of everyone in the house, I knew Livia wouldn't stab me while I wasn't looking. I don't think she would ever have the guts to hurt her little brother. 

"Jaxon, please, I don't want to lose you anymore. Maybe fate brought us together. Maybe you should stay here with us." She pleaded, getting up from the table as well. Moving towards me, her hand reached to touch my shoulder and I felt her cold clutch hold me. Her piercing nails tugged at my rugged shirt. Even without facing her, I felt her frozen eyes staring at the back of my head. I pushed the blonde locks away from my eyes. 

It wasn't like I had friends at home. I didn't have anything to go back to because Ash surely didn't miss me. If anything, he would want me to finally be in Livia's custody rather than a burden to him. He wouldn't give me a second thought and by now,  my room belonged to his pets. He'd build a room just for his dogs and kick me out without thinking about it. 

A sigh passed my chapped lips. "Fine, but we need to make some boundaries here. I need my privacy, I don't want this house to smell like ass, and I need food. I'm also not participating in anything you and your ghoulish gang are doing. Not a single thing, it's not my problem." I said with crossed arms. 

Glancing over my shoulder, I saw Livia's attempt at a smile. Her sharp teeth freaked me out, maybe a dentist could fix that. "Great! Your room is at the end of the hall on the left." 

I blinked. "You already have a room for me?" 

"Of course! I was always prepared in case you ever found your way to me. Although, it might be a little too kiddy for you now." She responded. She lightly shoved me from my back, urging me to go see my room. I abided, and together we walked down the hallway, leaving Smile behind in the kitchen. As I walked down the hall, I could hear talking from one of the rooms between Jack and Jeff. I didn't bother to listen. 

Reaching the end of the hallway, we came to a closed door. My name was written across in red paint. The door was decorated with Ninja Turtles stickers. Taking the doorknob in my hand, I pushed it open to reveal the room inside. 

The walls were the brightest in the entire house. Out of all the rubbish, rundown, stained things I had seen, this room was the cleanest. A rainbow of colors came from the room because the walls were blue and the wood floor was shining. A small bed was in the middle of the room with superhero designed blankets and pillows. A pile of stuffed animals slept on my bed. In the corner, a green toy box eerily stood. On the far wall, a wooden dresser was decorated with action figures on top. I walked to the dresser, pulling it open to find some of my old kids clothes that Livia had taken from the last time she had seen me. She stood in the doorway, my jaw dropping with awe. 

"All this was for me?" I murmured, and she nodded her head. The fear that gripped my heart released and instead, I felt warm. I walked to the bed and sat down, my fingertips gliding over the sheets. Superheroes were always my favorite and she knew that well. 

Livia grabbed the doorknob. "It's been a long day. You should catch some sleep. I promise Jax, no harm will ever come to you." She said before she closed the door and left me behind. At the evening of the day, only a faint trickle of light came through my window. I laid down on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. A spider built his web in the corner. My eyes drooped and slowly, I let go.