"Jesus Christ, you two, I thought someone decide to murder you or anything," a familiar voice greeted and Melissa raised her head to see who was it. Oliver Dobson-Wade and Joanne Castillo, his closest friend, were walking over. The long hallway that loomed behind them seemed to fade as Melissa found herself smiling. "I mean, the situation is crazy at Gym after they read the winners for Winter King and Winter Queen. We should be thankful that at least the Headmaster's office is far from that damn place."

"No shit about that, Sherlock," Melissa quipped, to which Annalise responded with a snort. "But really, do you think we're all going to die tonight? Or worse...expelled?"

Oliver rolled his eyes, a response Melissa had expected. Beside him, Joanne let out a chuckle. Honestly, the two looked good together and Melissa was glad that after the chaos that had ensued, at least there's something good came to fruition. "What? Is it wrong to question that? Don't make me feel even like a third wheeler— "

"—Fourth wheeler, actually," Annalise interrupted. "Don't get so eager to forget about me you two lovebirds."

"We're not dating, for Christ's sake," Oliver remarked. "I don't know how to convince you otherwise."

"Guys, I would love to bicker until the Judgement Day is here, but I would love to wait for my impending fate in this damn Catholic boarding school in silence," Melissa stated with her infamous glare. "I still have no idea how on Earth the Headmaster can figure out that we are the ones behind all the mess."

"Correction, he definitely thinks that I am the one behind the mess," Annalise said, her hand was scratching the back of her neck. "I really want to rub my eyes now, but I can't because that will ruin my mascara."

"Who cares about makeup when we're about to get expelled or have a permanent record on our transcript and— "

"—Jesus Christ, Melissa, calm down and take a breath," Annalise cut in, immediately putting her hand on Melissa's shoulders. "Don't get panic."

"I'm not panicking," Melissa finally said as she let out another breath. "Joanne, I'm not panicking, okay?"

"I'm not the one that should be convinced," Joanne answered, "but no, Melissa, you're doing really well, sweetie."

"I am not ten years old."

"Melissa, I know you are mature and sensible, but your ten-year-old self that has childhood deprived problems is surfacing when you're panicking."

Melissa finally resorted to throwing her two Student Council friends her infamous glare, but of course, Oliver and Joanne were used to her antics. If the other students nicknamed her 'Lady of Winter' because of her coldness and the death glare, those two would just shrug and move on. Maybe that's why they're qualified as her friend.

"Okay, before anyone can mess the sudden sentimental moment that I somehow instigated," Melissa started to say, clearing her throat, "thank you for not making my high school life as boring as I wanted it to be."

Annalise raised one of her reddish and perfectly plucked eyebrows. That girl really knocked it off just to look good for one night, but Melissa did not complain. "Is that a backhanded compliment?"

"You guys know that I just want my senior year to go smoothly, but of course Annalise, you ruin that. But for my life, I cannot find it in me to resent you for it even if I want to smack you in the face," Melissa stonily retorted. "Boring is fun."

"There are so many things wrong in that sentence that I cannot even," Oliver exclaimed, but stop himself before Melissa glared at him again. "Please do go on, my friend."

"Yeah, the point is, if we get expelled or I don't know, lost the future we have been working so hard for, at least I'm glad to spend my last high school days here in St. Bernard's with you all," Melissa finally concluded. "Wow, that sound so cliché and tacky, but whatever."

The four of them were quiet, mulling over Melissa's words and the silence stretching in the air.

"I wish I can save our two friends, Toshiro and Henry, from the mess we created. But their sacrifice won't be forgotten," Annalise finally broke the silence. "If I have a glass of champagne, I would make a toast."

"Oh shut it, don't be so dramatic," Melissa hushed, but Annalise only gave her a wink. Oliver and Joanne were huddled together on the seat right across from theirs, accompanying Annalise and Melissa for the Judgement that the Headmaster would give.

The office's door finally opened and Rosemary, the school secretary, had her head poked out of the room. "Annalise Carrington and Melissa Darnell, you two may come in." She immediately poked her head back in, leaving the door open.

"Okay," Annalise said with a sigh, "here goes nothing. Remember one thing, Darnell?"

"What? You don't have to remind me anything, I have a photographic memory," Melissa retorted but was silenced as Annalise gave her a serious look. "Okay, what?"

"Just trust me when we're in there, facing that crazy ole Richards," Annalise said. "Just trust me, alright? I got this. I won't let you also sacrifice your future just for my petty revenge and destroying the Fuckboys rule in this school."

Oliver and Joanne were looking at Melissa, who stayed silent while thinking over a reply. "It is not petty," Melissa finally said. "I mean, what you're doing tonight, it will cause even more of a roar among those whose voices are not heard in this elitist shitty boarding school."

Annalise let out a smile and stood up from her seat. The redhead gave her hand, offering a consolation and support for the friend she never thought she would make. But then again, a raging perfectionist with a few anger issues and a sweet-talking redhead whose words could even sway the devil had never meant to be friends.

"Alright," Melissa stated firmly, accepting Annalise's hands. Together, they would be facing the consequences of the actions that could be traced back to Melissa's honest slip in her usual calm composure. 

author's note:

author's note:

I hope y'all enjoy this prologue, a peek into Melissa's mind. Next update will be soon since I'm swamped in exams as of now. 

UPDATED a/n:

okay, for those who are familiar with this story, i've changed the prologue because this one seems to be much better than before. but worry not, future chapters will be a tad bit similar but with a few changes. this story, after all, needs a HUGE case of editing. (and i just belt out 1.5k words in one sitting so). still dedicated to cate, whose stories are CRAZY GOOD and check out her stories y'all. i binge read her stories this holiday and they are GOOD.

This Is How I Fix You | EDITINGOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara