Passing flowers

Beginne am Anfang

I’d love to meet you and your son. Will tomorrow be good? I should be free at 4:30 p.m. and am familiar with the park, I walk my dog there.

Eric

* * *

The next day, Jannelle made sure her tablet had a good charge, was loaded with games and her purse was packed with snacks. She got Jared dressed in his rain boots, layered appropriately and explained to him exactly what they would be doing.

“Jared, hunny, we’re going to be meeting someone at the park today.”

“Oh! Is it Carl?” He asked, bouncing on his toes, his fingers in his mouth.

“Fingers out of your mouth, do we need to start painting your nails with the bitter stuff again?”

“Nooo!” he whined, and popped his dirty fingers out of his mouth and wiped them on his pants.

“We won’t be seeing Carl today. We’re going to meet a new friend, a grown up.

“Awww!” he whined.

“He’ll be a friend for you, someone to take you to play when Mommy’s busy.”

* * *

Jared had run through the usual gauntlet of the playground, bounding over the bridges, climbing up and over through the toddler section, into the big kid section, down the slides and around again. He’d done this about four times over before making his way to the swings. Janelle sighed and checked her phone. Ten minutes ‘till. Eric wasn’t late, but she’d definitely gotten to the park to early. Jared had been unusually cooperative and for once, they’d failed to arrive late.

She made her way to the swing where Jared sat swinging his legs impatiently. She gave him a good shove, propelling him into the air.  

“Higher!” he chanted. “Higher!”

It was then she spotted him--that familiar build made her heart jump. It was funny, how even after all these years, the memories, the lingering feelings of that crush came rushing back. She shook her head and laughed a bit to herself before raising a hand to wave him over.

He nodded, and in that ground eating pace of his she remembered so well, made his way to her.

“Janelle?” he asked, a slight furrow to his brow. It was obvious he didn’t recognize her, not, at least the way she recognized him.

She nodded.

“I know you, don’t I?”

She laughed, though it didn’t surprise her that he’d have trouble placing her. She had changed a great deal, while he’d hardly changed at all.

“No, wait,” he put up a hand. “From high school, I remember now. Wow. You look great. Different, but great.” His dark eyes shone with approval, but not the leering sort she’d grown all too conscious of after working so hard to lose the weight that had plagued her through high school. Though she was a mom now, she still worked look at least presentable, stay on her diet, keep her hair, nail and tanning appointments. Though Stewart had grown more sympathetic over the years, he would still slip in a chiding comment if she let herself slip too far.  

She beamed. “Thanks.” She’d worked so hard over the years to put that pudgy, awkward girl from high school far behind her. Hearing Eric’s approval made it all worth it.

“Maaaoom! Higher!” Jared protested, and she realized she’d stopped pushing the swing.

“Sorry baby!” she sputtered, and resumed her motherly duties.