You Are My Sunshine

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away," Angel sang softly to her sobbing sister, while running her hands through Amara's soft, tangled brunette locks. The doppelgänger's weeps became quieter, but did not cease, while her grip around Angel's waist tightened. The blonde held in a wince at the pressure on her bruised stomach.

"It isn't fair," Amara wailed. "Why must you marry him!? How could Father be so cruel?"

Angel sighed and continued trying to soothe Amara. "This is reality, Mara."

"Why are you so accepting? Do you wish to spend the rest of your life married to a man who takes pleasure in beating you?" Amara's glistening eyes met Angel's tired ones. The doppelgänger's slender fingers traced the fading bruise that stained Angel's cheek. The blonde refused to flinch, she knew that would only bring Amara pain. 

Angel pursed her lips. "Father has his reasons, Sister. I shall fulfil my duties." Her tone was final. Amara sniffled, while leaning back against her twin. Silence swarmed their family's small abode. "How are you and your lover?" Angel's gentle voice interrupted the unsettling quiet.

A bright grin beamed on the brunette's beautiful face. "We are perfect! Every minute with him is like dancing on Heaven's clouds."

A painful sting struck through Angel's heart, but Angel smiled happily at her lovestruck twin. "I am pleased for you, Mara, but do not let your love for Silas blind you. Do not take Qetsiyah for a fool; she is incredibly powerful."

Guilt glazed over Amara's face, but she shook her head. "She will not find out, at least not now. Even if she did, she is my friend. She would eventually understand. Love makes people do crazy things, does it not? It changes us."

Angel heaved a sigh. She knew Amara was trying to ease her own guilt of loving her friend's betrothed and that was why she was making excuses, like blaming her traitorous choices on love, but Angel was a realist. Amara's actions were choices, and that is all they would ever be. 

"Love may cause lapses of of insanity, but betrayal has the ability to drive the most sane mad. Do not underestimate Qetsiyah's wrath, Amara." The brunette remained silent. After an hour, Angel slipped out from underneath the sleeping girl. As she moved the curtain that separated their room from the rest of the house, she heard the stressed mumbling of their father.

"No, no. That's not right..."

Angel glided behind the worried man and wrapped her arms around his tense shoulders. "The doctor is requiring extra fees to cover your mother's bills," he muttered, while his gaze remained on the doctor's notes. Angel bit her lips and squeezed him tighter.

"It will be okay, Father. Tomorrow our troubles will cease, and all will be better." The man patted her hand.

"You are right, my dear, good night"

"Sweet dreams," she whispered, before silently making her way out towards the small field where she liked to escape from reality. Her hands ran along the tall grass, as she gazed at the sky, before flinging herself down and clenching her eyes as tears fought to the surface. She didn't want to marry Vasilios. She felt no love for the him, but it was what she had to do. Vasilios was a sadistic man who had lots of money, and their family was in great need of money. Her eyes glazed over as she stared at the moonlit sky. It was common knowledge that fate was written in the stars, and maybe Angel's fate was to be wed to her merciless fiancé.

"Angel." Silas' deep voice called out to her. Her frown deepened as he laid down beside her.

"Silas," she greeted. "You should not be here."

"I can not come to see my best friend?"

"An engaged man should not come to see a betrothed woman."  Silas frowned, then turned his attention to the blonde.

"Why would you marry him," he asked, his tone laced with disgust. "Do you not care that Amara is sick with worry?" Anger flashed through her veins. Angel loved her sister dearly, and she would gladly die for her family, but the thought of Silas caring only of Amara's feelings and not her own hurt, especially since it was Angel's marriage.

"What if I told you I loved him," she mumbled, genuinely curious to hear his response.

His eyes flashed with exasperation. "We all know of Vasilios' reputation, Angel. Amara is always ranting to me about how frightened she is about you wedding him."

"I love him," Angel whispered, staring straight into the green eyes of the man she was truly speaking about.

"You need to think about Amara and refuse to go through with the wedding. Your sister, Qetsiyah, and I will stand loyally beside you, Angel."

"I always think about my family," Angel hissed. How dare he judge her. What right did he have to accuse her of mistreating her blood?

"Clearly not enough," he growled, "Quit being so selfish." His words struck her like one of Vasilios' fists, but much more painful. Silas was her dearest friend, he used to treat her differently, but she guessed Amara's words were correct. Love did change people.

A saddened grin glazed over her lips. "Oh, darling," she sighed, "but I am selfish, and I always will be."

Minutes of silence ticked by. He had no more words for the woman who was the cause of his beloved's distress, even if they used to spend every waking moment together. "Will you be attending the ceremony tomorrow evening," she asked.

He shook his head in anger and annoyance. "Good bye, Miss," he stated coldly, while pushing himself off the ground and stalking away. The tears that she had pushed away ever since she was aware of her engagement glazed down her cheeks as painful sobs suffocated her, causing the frightened girl to gasp for air. This was her fate, and she had to learn to accept that.