Chapter XIX

"He's here" Dario's soft voice in my ear awoke me. I sat up instantly, blinded by the dark of the night. Dario grabbed my arm and helped me to my feet. He pulled me towards the beach as quickly as he could. He pointed a small boat to me that was across the beach and continued towards it.
"Hurry" Dario urged, pulling me along as we treaded through the water. He pushed me before him and helped me through the water.
"Ow Dario" I gasped. His push was a little harder than necessary.
"Cornelia hurry!" he urged me.
"Dario wait my skirt is caught on something" I gasped tugging on my skirt. He yanked my skirt free and began to push me again.
"We're almost there Cornelia! Do not look back!" he ordered me. My heart was pounding in my chest and the warm water only became harder to move through. Something was wrong. I could tell by the tone of his voice.
I gasped as I heard one arrow fly and felt Dario go stiff beside me. I turned to look and felt my heart drop. Before I could even react, I heard another arrow fly and felt a sharp pain in my side. I fell to my knees and realized Dario was still toppling. I held his arm and helped him down, so that he was resting his head on my knees.
The arrow had struck him right through the back of his head. I felt my throat tighten as I tried not to sob at the sight of all of Dario's blood staining my dress.
I held one hand over my wound and the other over Dario's limp, lifeless body. I found it started to get harder to breathe. I stared at the dark water I sat in and felt myself getting dizzy.
I struggled to look up at the shore and felt my jaw clench.
"The feeling was horrible when Amelia cheated on me with my own brother" Eduardo said from where he stood, his eyes filling with angry tears. He held a bow in his hand, and the other one held a sack of arrows. The corners of my vision began to blur. I wanted to scream but I could not find my voice.
"Now I am here to avenge my poor, sick cousin whom you try to deceive" he continued. I buried my face in Dario's neck as I felt my surroundings start to spin.
"You two will rot in the deepest pit of hell" Eduardo said hatefully. I lifted my head up and used all my power to speak.
"Yes, but you have granted us a large favor. Now we will rot together" I said and watched as his eyes grew wide. "For all of eternity" I hissed out my last breath and smiled victoriously.
Before everything went white, I saw Eduardo yell at the sky. He gave out one last angry scream and shot himself in the head.