Chapter XI

After having gone apple picking with Fatima and Karissa the following morning, I was exhausted.
I walked down the hallway towards my bedroom and held my breath. I clung onto my alyna tightly, refusing to let it slip off.
"Cornelia!" a voice called me, sending chills down my spine. Not the good kind, but the bad kind. I held my breath and stopped in my tracks. I slowly turned around and saw Dario hurrying towards me with a proud smile on his face.
"Yes Dario?" I asked calmly, not letting him see that he had affected me in any way.
"Are you not coming to the midday meal?" he asked me. I swallowed hard. That was actually the last thing on my mind at the moment.
"I think I have taken ill" I lied shaking my head. Dario laughed.
"Afraid to fall in love with me?" he asked. I stared at him in disbelief.
"I am an engaged woman" I said between my teeth.
"And you are going to look me in the eyes and tell me you love him as deeply as a person could love another?" he asked me, raising his eyebrow at me. I swallowed hard.
"You are testing my patience" I said letting out a long sigh.
"As you are mine" he said. "But I know you will cave" he continued. I laughed.
"And how do you believe that will happ-" I started and was cut off by his lips meeting mine. His hands reached into my hair and pulled me closer to him. My heart was racing.
His lips were so soft and sweet. I found my hands tugging on his soft hair.
I almost could not even manage to pull away. I gasped and pushed him away from me, finally coming to my senses.
Dario stared at me in disbelief.
I met what he was looking at and realized it was my arm. My alyna had slipped down my arm and was showing my bruises off proudly.
I quickly pulled my alyna back up and stared up at Dario. He looked into my eyes, his eyes full of hate and anger.
"He did this to you" he said angrily.
"He was drunk" I said.
"And still you defend him!" Dario raged on.
"He is my fiancé, of course I will defend him" I said frowning at him.
"Even after he's hurt you" he repeated for clarification. I nodded and placed my hands on my hips.
"Do you know what he did to Amelia?" Dario asked me angrily. I looked at him in confusion.
"He pushed her down the stairs so she would lose the child" Dario said. My heart dropped. Without thinking, I reached my hand up and slapped him across the face.
"How dare you accuse him of something so serious" I said angrily.
"I would not do it for nothing" Dario said stiffly and walked past me, towards the fencing grounds. I swallowed hard and closed my eyes in disbelief.
What had I just done?
Our midday meal was full of laughter and joy. Amelia had finally decided to join us, but had left Sebastian back in the room with the servers, still refusing to let anyone see him. Being in her presence was the most uncomfortable reminder of what Dario had said earlier.
And our kiss. It had been magical. And now, Dario would not even look in my direction.
"May I have everyone's attention please?" Guillermo asked getting to his feet. I swallowed down the piece of chicken in my mouth and looked up at him. What was he doing? I took a sip of my wine and looked up at Dario who refused eye contact with me.
"I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I have changed the date of our wedding from being in the following spring, to being in the week following the next" he said, sneering at me. I almost choked on my wine. I looked up at him in disbelief. He looked away and at Dario who had stiffened at what he said. I looked at Amelia who was wiping the corners of her mouth nervously.
"Why, this is a surprise" queen Isabella said. Eduardo, who had become extremely close to Guillermo, stood up and hugged him, congratulating his decision. My heart sped up. What was happening?! Why did Guillermo wish to marry me once again all of a sudden?