Chapter XII

"I have a precious alyna, the same one I was married in. We shall adorn it with some more modern jewels and shells and you will be one of the most beautiful brides Agea has ever seen" Queen Isabella said to me later that evening, as she brushed my hair after my bath. Fatima smiled and laid out my clothes for me.
I clung onto my bathrobe with my life, refusing to let it slip the way my alyna had slipped. No one else needed to see what Dario had seen.
"It is made of silk and lace" Isabella continued fantasizing. I wondered to myself why she had not given it to Amelia or Fatima for their weddings and had waited until I came along.
"It sounds lovely" I said picking up my alyna and walking behind the divider in my bedroom to change into it. I was not really paying attention to them, I was more worried about my wedding. I did not want to get married to Guillermo, especially not so soon. There was a knock on the door.
"Yes?" I called.
"It is Amelia, may I come in?" the voice on the other side said.
"Of course" I called back, walking out from behind the divider. I smiled and sat on my bed as Amelia entered the room, a blue bundle in her arms.
Sebastian.
I smiled kindly at her.
"How are you faring?" queen Isabella asked her.
"Very well, thank you" she said shutting the door softly behind herself.
"Perhaps it was the apple cake" Fatima said teasingly. I stared at the mysterious bundle, the infant who had been hidden from the world.
"Oh my Sebastian" Fatima said as Amelia approached her with the bundle. She kissed him softly and made loving gestures towards him.
"May I hold him?" I asked suddenly. Amelia looked at her mother hesitantly. Queen Isabella nodded encouragingly
She slowly walked over to me and placed Sebastian in my arms gently. I stared down at his small face and smiled. He was sleeping peacefully, his little mouth curved into a smile.
"He is beautiful" I told her. Amelia forced a small smile onto her face.
"Thank you" she said. Sebastian's small eyes fluttered as he stirred. Amelia stiffened. His small eyes opened and struck me with their beauty.
I had seen those eyes somewhere before. But where?
My heart dropped as the realization hit me.
Horacio.
There was another knock on the door, and without waiting for a response the door flung open. I turned to look as Amelia quickly took the bundle from my arms and covered it, holding it close to her chest protectively as he started crying.
"I would like a word with Cornelia if you all do not mind" Guillermo said from the doorway where he stood, making a kind face towards us.
"Excuse us" queen Isabella said as she got to her feet and smiled at Guillermo who closed the door promptly behind them.
My head was still spinning from what I had just discovered. Amelia had cheated on Eduardo with Horacio?
"How did you like my surprise?" Guillermo's voice cut into my thoughts. I looked up at him.
"Guillermo, if you move the wedding date closer, we will only have less time to plan" I said, trying to persuade him to move the date back.
"Plan what? A way to leave me at the altar while you escape the island with Dario?" He asked me a smile on his face. My heart dropped. I stared at him in disbelief.
"I would never" I said in shock.
"Do not try to fool me" he laughed loudly. "As if I do not know what has been happening between you two" he continued. "You are nothing Cornelia. He only wants you for your position, but if you wish to sleep around I will warn you now, if I am embarrassed by your whorish actions, you will pay the price" he threatened me, grabbing my face with his hand and holding it close. I stared into his hateful eyes, full of fear. Would he hit me again?
He pulled the sleeve of my alyna down and looked at my bruises in satisfaction.
"Imagine, all this but worse" he said smirking, and pressing down on one of the bruises. I tried to keep my face emotionless, but it was useless. My face twisted in pain and I tried to free myself of his grip. I finally fell backwards and stared at him, my heart racing. He laughed and left the bedroom, leaving me terrified for my life.