Chapter IV

"Now where is Dario? I told him we would be having dinner at six" Isabella asked. Guillermo stiffened at my side.

"Dario is here?" he asked.

"He went out riding" Isabella said holding her hand up to the servers, indicating that they should wait to serve the dinner.

"Maybe he will not be joining us tonight mother" Fatima said softly, in a tone I did not understand. Isabella sighed and waved for the servers to bring out the meal.

I noticed throughout the meal that Isabella was not as happy as she was when we were introducing each other. She wanted her son to be there. I could feel it. Guillermo on the other hand seemed pretty content, despite the fact that we were having dinner without his cousin Dario.

I took a bite of the food on my fork and then a sip of my wine. Silence fell around me. I quickly looked up, searching for the cause. Guillermo quickly got to his feet.

"Guillermo" a handsome deep voice said. There he stood, his long, brown wavy hair reaching just under his ears and his deep blue eyes staring intently at my fiancé.

"Dario" Guillermo said, raising his chin into the air. I stared between the two and held my breath. The tension was present throughout the room.

"Won't you join us for dinner Dario?" Amelia asked.

"Dario, you must join us" Guillermo insisted, his eyes locked with Dario's.

"I apologize, but I cannot tonight" he replied, not cowering back.

"You must Dario! It is their first night here" Amelia said hopefully as she got to her feet.

"Forgive me sister" Dario said lightly kissing the top of Amelia's head and helping her sit down before leaving the room without another glance at Guillermo. The room remained silent as I tugged on Guillermo's hand, signaling for him to sit down.

He pulled his hand away and looked at the wall farthest from us.

"Excuse me" Guillermo said and left the room. I looked after him and got to my feet.

"Finish your meal darling, allow him time to cool down" Isabella told me in a motherly tone. I looked at her and nodded, respecting her authority. What had just happened?