Chapter 18: Seijoh

One more point...' I thought, glancing at the score board. Dateko's strongest blockers were in front right now, but Shoyo just rotated to the back. 'Damn it. Why now of all times?' I wondered frustrated. Shoyo served, but the ball went too far and out of bounds. He bowed, quickly apologizing for it.

The game continued and Ryuu just barely managed to receive Aone's spike. "Kageyama, cover!" he yelled. Tobio quickly sent the toss to Asahi, who was blocked again by Dateko. I bit my lip so hard I tasted blood when I noticed the rear guard completely open. My eyes widened in shock when suddenly, Yuu was there to save the ball once again. 'Even when I'm in that state... I wouldn't be able to save something like that.' I thought awed.

Tobio sent a toss to Asahi, but it was a high one. Both Aone and Asahi pushed against the ball, but Aone won the battle and the ball fell down. At the last moment, Yuu made the quick decision to stick out his leg, sending the ball up with his foot. Asahi ran back to his position and turned around.

I could clearly see the determination in his eyes, the shame and regret of three months ago still fresh in his memory. "Don't give up, Asahi!" I yelled, fists clenched at my sides as I jumped up from the bench.

"I won't stop until I score!" Asahi yelled.

He held up his hand, waiting for Tobio to toss for him. He ran up to the net and jumped up. Tobio tossed the ball high up and slightly away from the net. I remembered Koushi telling him that was when Asahi spiked best. I took a deep breath and yelled, "Go!"

I stared intently as he slammed his hand against the ball. The ball slammed against the block and bounced off, flying into the air. It landed on the net and rolled onto Dateko's side. My eyes widened and my breathing quickened. Cold sweat appeared on my forehead as I prayed for Dateko's team to fail in receiving the ball.

My prayers were answered.

I ran onto the court and tackled Asahi in a hug. "You did it! You blasted through the Iron Wall!" I exclaimed. I'd never felt such a feeling of happiness and pride before. 

Asahi looked down at me as I detached myself from him and nodded. I walked up to Tobio after, looking up at him. "You did a good job, Tobio." I said. He looked down at me and smirked, nodding at me before going to fetch his bag.

Finally, I saw Kei and Tadashi packing their bags as well. I walked up to them, a huge smile plastered on my face. "You did amazing, Kei." I said. I looked away, blushing as he looked down at me. "F-For someone like you... I mean..." I added quickly.

"Thanks." he said.

I looked back up at him and smiled. His eyes widened just a fraction as he looked away. "I'm going." he said as he quickly left.

My heart sank when he left so suddenly. "What's wrong with him?" I asked Tadashi. Tadashi bit his lip and shook his head. I let my head down as I picked up my bag, shouldering it. "Guess he'll always be stingy." I mumbled as I pushed passed Tadashi. 

I walked beside Asahi, who looked down at me with concern. "Something wrong?" he asked.

Sighing, I shrugged. "I don't know, Asahi. I just... don't know." I said. I let my eyes slide over to Kei and Tadashi, who were walking a few meters in front of us.

"Is it about Tsukishima?" Asahi asked. "You normally walk with them." he said.

I bit my lip as I looked away. "I guess it is." I whispered. I clenched my fists in frustration. 

"Whatever it is, it'll be okay." Asahi said. I looked up at him. His eyes were knowing, just like the smile he was giving me.

Narrowing my eyes, I asked, "What do you know?"