Chapter 5: Already Over

The cheers echoed through the gym as Kitagawa Daiichi played their match. Hundreds of students had come to this match. My eyes scanned the court from afar as I watched from the bench. My team was losing; I hated losing. 

My eyes narrowed at Tobio, who was shouting out demands to the players. He was getting way too riled up, again. It was only our first year and he thought he was the King of the Court with his impossible toss, his King's Toss. A small smirk spread acrossed my face.

"What are you thinking off?"  A voice asked from beside me.

I snapped out of my daze and turned my head to see Tooru looking at me. I shook my head and turned back to watch the match. "Nothing serious... Just how Tobio thinks he's the King of the Court. I think I'll call him that from now on. The King of the Court with his King's Toss..." I said. 

Tooru looked down at me and smirked evilly. It was the side of him that scared me more than anything. "That really is a good name... Just don't let him know about it for now." he said.

Raising an eyebrow, I looked back at Tooru who was watching the match intently. "Why aren't you going in there anyway?" I asked.

He looked at me and said, "I am." 

Then the whistle blew, signalling a member change for us. Tobio's eyes darkened and his fists clenched when he saw Tooru holding up his number. I stood up from the bench and threw my sweater off, stepping to the front when coach motioned me to. Kindaichi nodded at me and stepped off the court, giving a grin and a high-five.

That would be the last time, the last game, that I'd see any of them... Until now.

* * * * * 

"I'd heard rumors, but I was convinced after I saw that match." Tsukishima said. He had a smirk plastered on his face, hand on his hip as he looked down at Tobio.

I looked at Tobio, whose head was facing down, fists clenched at his side. Tobio and I usually got along back in our first year; We were friends. Then he started becoming this kid that thought he was superior and our friendship crumbled.

"He got too oppressive, and had to sit out on the bench." Tsukishima said. 

I nodded. "Yes, I saw that match. It was the last one of what was supposed to be our last year. It was on television." I said.

Tobio glanced at me from under his bangs. I saw regret flashing through his eyes, mixed with a little bit of sadness. I crossed my arms and closed my eyes. "Such a disappointment this is. You lost your nerve from that last match?" I asked.

"Bastard, you've been yammering too much." Tanaka said as he walked up to me and Tsukishima. I opened my eyes to look at Tobio, ignoring the second year as I stared at him intently. 

"Tanaka." Daichi-senpai warned. He shook his head just a bit, but it was enough to stop Tanaka. 

Tsukishima smirked at Tanaka. "He made a toss, but no one jumped--"

"You're right." Tobio cut in. "I made a toss, and no one was there. It's truly frightening." he said.

"But you were only in junior high, right?" Hinata asked. He looked up at me before turning to Tobio. "Your toss to me is just fine. It makes no difference to me." he said. Then he turned to Tsukishima and pointed his finger at him. "My real problem is how I'm going to get passed you!" he exclaimed.

My eyes widened a bit as my arms fell to my sides. A slight spark ran through me as I watched the little ginger. Hinata ran up to Tobio, yelling at him that they'll win and become official members. My eyes softened and I looked away. 

I clenched my fists and shook my head. I wasn't going to get soft now. Even though it didn't make a difference to Hinata, Tobio was still the same King as he'd always been. I scoffed as I looked back at the two of them.

"So pure and straightforward..." Tsukishima said. His voice was low, no emotion put into it.

"How irritating." I said. I glanced at Tsukishima, who met my eyes before turning to get in position. 

"You can't make up for your height just by psyching yourself up. If you believe putting in effort will win..." Tsukishima mumbled. He threw the ball in the air and served solidly. "You're dead wrong." he said.

Tanaka received the ball nicely and sent it to Tobio. Both Tanaka and Hinata yelled for the ball. I saw Tobio's eyes glance over to Tanaka. "Tanaka-san!" 

'Of course he'd choose the best possible way to winning.'   I thought. I glanced back at the ginger. I slowly stood up from the ground, my hands falling limply to my sides. My mouth fell open when I saw the small ginger already in the air, in position to spike.

"Kageyama!" he yelled. His voice, so full of determination it would even give me shivers. His eyes locked onto the ball. "I'm here!" he yelled.

I looked down at the ground, a shadow falling over my eyes as I clenched my fist tightly. 'He's there... just like how I should've been.'  I thought. A bittersweet smile spread over my face as I lifted my head just enough to see Hinata being able to just lightly hit the ball. It was out, and it wasn't a real spike, but he was there.

"That was close. I almost got it." Hinata said. He stared at the ball on the other side of the net. "It's out, though." he said. 

"What was that about?!" Tobio yelled. He turned to Hinata with incredulous eyes.

"But the ball came to me!" Hinata exclaimed. "Forget about junior high. I take any toss I can get. Gratefully. I'll jump anywhere. Hit any ball. So... Toss it to me." he said. He gripped the fabric above his heart.

My eyes softened, a small huff escaping my lips. I walked over to my bag and picked it up. "Akira, you're leaving?" I heard Daichi-senpai ask from behind. I looked over my shoulders and gave an almost invisible smile. "I've seen enough to know it's already over. Good job, team Tobio, Tanaka and Hinata. As much as I hate to admit it..." I said.

Hinata looked at me, tilting his head to the side. "Why are you so nice all of a sudden?" he asked.

"Because, I don't know-- My view has changed. Even though, you can be unbelievably annoying. You got your heart in the right place." I said. My eyes glanced over to Tobio. "Tobio, toss to him. He'll spike it better than I ever could." 

Then I left with my hands in my pockets, feeling eyes burn into my back.

Well, there you go. Chapter 5 already. We're at a fourth of the whole first book. I know some characters are slightly OOC, but I do find it difficult to keep them in character at times. Please excuse me for that. 

Anyways, as you can see she's starting to maybe open up just a bit; Get slightly... nicer? I guess. 

Don't forget to leave a comment and until next week!