Whilst I was waiting, I looked through my phone notifications. Some memes from Athena, some mobile game tips, and one message from an unknown number.

Noah hopped onto my lap despite being too big for it, forcing my hand to hit the message.

"Thanks," I grunted, patting his bum.

"How cute!" Athena popped back into the room, arms behind her back. "See? He is a puppy."

"Don't," I threatened, pointing a finger at her. "Tell me what the thing is already. I need to get going."

Athena stuck her tongue out. "Stop ruining the special moment!"

I leaned back against my pillows. "Continue."

She smiled. "Why, thank you. I know it's not nice, but I lied about not finding anything. I've had this prepped for weeks!"

A box with a pink bow was pressed into my palm. It weighed almost nothing, so I lifted an eyebrow at her.

"It's not a bomb, weirdo." She lifted the lid to reveal a dainty silver bracelet.

"It's . . . nice," I said, poking at the three charms hanging from it. "What are these?"

"Read them."

I turned over the closest one, reading the small word engraved in the back: brave.

"Next one!"

Strong.

"Athena—"

"The last one was the hardest until the other day at work. Remember the morning rush?"

I nodded.

"That's when I knew that word was perfect."

My heart stopped in my chest, my entire body freezing.

Leader.

"Do you like it?" Her eyes twinkled with pure joy, and I knew I couldn't ruin this for her.

If only she knew.

"Definitely."

Athena threw her arms around me, giggling. "I'm so glad you do!" When she retracted, she fastened the chain around my wrist.

I lifted my arm for her to see, letting the charms dangle and clank against one another. I wasn't one for accessories for the sake of accessorizing. Typically, I only used them to hide. It had been years since I wore a bracelet, and now I had one that I couldn't refuse.

Athena waved her hand in front of my face, brows knitted. "Everything okay up there?"

"Hangover headache in full swing," I said, offering her a strained smile.

She pursed her lips, then hopped to her feet, making the mattress creak. "Well, I'll be taking Noah for the afternoon. Happy birthday, Elsie."

"Thanks," I whispered as she closed the door behind her, leaving me with my thoughts in a lifeless room.

As I slowly stood, feeling the morning nausea come on, I noticed my phone sticking out from under the mess of pillows and blankets on the bed. I remembered the unknown number and unread message, but before I could reach for it, my stomach growled and carried me to the washroom.

*****

The nausea lingered long after the headache lifted and fatigue faded. The anticipation of my birthday location only worsened it. Anxiety bubbled in my stomach the entire way.

After a train ride, two separate ubers, and a fifteen minute walk brought me to an abandoned house on the outskirts of my hometown.

I stared at the one-story building in disbelief; time did a number on my childhood home. From the outside, it looked the same as it did when I was a child, only rundown and worn—peeling red brick walls, spotted paneled windows, brush and vines wrapped around it all.