Chapter Four

"What have we learned from last night?"

From under my pillow, I stuck up my middle finger in her general direction.

"Elsie, that's no way to talk to the person brewing you coffee."
I lobbed the pillow at her, grumbling under my breath.

"She isn't a morning person, is she, Noah?"

He yapped once, making my head throb.

"I will eviscerate you."

"Have some breakfast first, then we'll see about disembowelment."

When I finally willed my eyes open, I was met with a plate of scrambled eggs and rashers.

Athena steadily held it over my lap, Noah on the bed beside her. "I know you're starved."

I gave in, popping a rasher in my mouth.

"You're welcome," Athena giggled, rubbing Noah's head. "I already fed Noah and took him out, and cleaned up the kitchen."

"You shouldn't have—"

Athena shoved another rasher in my face. "Yes, I did. I couldn't find the right gift in time, so I hope this makes up for it."

A small cupcake with sprinkles and colored frosting replaced my breakfast, complete with a single candle in the middle.

"Happy birthday, Elsie!" she cheered, Noah barking along.

I held a hand over one ear, fighting off the hangover migraine. "Thanks. I, uh, don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything then!" Athena lit the candle then clung onto Noah. "Blow it out, silly!"

I smiled at the tiny, flickering flame. The last time I blew out a candle on my birthday, I had just turned nineteen. My brother managed to convince everyone, including our father, to surprise me in the Great Hall.

That same day, everything in my life came crashing down.

I blew out the candle, faking a smile for my overly excited best friend.

"What did you wish for?" She had her head in her hands, elbows propped on her knees.

I thought quickly, narrowing my eyes at her with a sly grin. "That's supposed to be a secret, yeah? Or it won't come true?"

Athena pouted, burrowing into Noah's fur. When I didn't budge, she came up for air and was back to her smiley self. "You're right, I guess."

I laughed airily.

Truth was, I didn't make a wish at all. The one thing I wanted wasn't possible.

"Finish your breakfast," Athena ordered, sliding off the bed. "There's one more thing before you get to disappear on me."

I cleaned off the plate with Noah's head on my feet. He knew better than to beg, but that didn't stop him from hinting at it. Months of intense training couldn't best a hungry pup.

"Thought you fed him," I mumbled between bites of the last rasher.

"I did!" Athena glared at the side of Noah's head. "He's just faking to get people food."

I tapped his nose, moving before he could lick the rasher grease from my fingers. "What's this other thing?"

"You're not done yet."

"Crumbs!"

Athena stroked an imaginary beard. "Fine, fine. Give me the plate and when I come back, I'll tell you what the other thing is."