Preview of Forever Remember: A Holiday Short Story

Start from the beginning

"Daddy, can we listen to Frosty the Snowman?" I asked.

He pressed the buttons and Frosty boomed out of the speakers. I sang along as the car followed the river road to Watsontown. My third grade class was practicing this song for our winter play, so I knew all the words. The teacher chose Tyler Price to be Frosty the Snowman. I wanted to be Karen, but Mimi Holt got the part instead.

As the song ended, we passed the WELCOME TO WATSONTOWN sign on the right and three very tall pine trees, covered with big red, gold, and green light bulbs, on the left, and then Daddy turned left onto the gravel road for the park.

"Do you want to play on the swings?" he asked. "We have a few minutes before the movie starts."

"Yes, please." I unbuckled my seat belt, opened the car door, and slammed it behind me. I ran to Daddy's side.

We walked across the crunchy, frozen grass to the swings. I sat down on the cold rubber seat and held on to the icy chains. I was glad I had my mittens. "Daddy, can I ask you a question?"

"Anytime, Princess." He sat down on the swing beside me.

"How do I get a boy to like me?"

Daddy swallowed a big gulp of air and then blinked as if he was going to cry.

"Are you okay, Daddy?" Why was he so sad?

"Not really. I didn't expect this question for a few more years. How old are you, Jasmine?"

Something must be really wrong with Daddy if he forgot my age. "I am eight. I'll be nine on May 15th," I reminded him, so he wouldn't forget my birthday. "And Christmas is December 25th."

"That's right." He nodded. "Did you ask your mother this question?"

"No, silly. She's not a boy."

"True." He let out a deep breath. "So who's this boy you want to like you?"

"Tyler Price. He sits beside me in school. He let me borrow his pencil when I forgot mine." I kept the pencil, but I won't tell Daddy that.

"He must already like you, or he wouldn't have given you his pencil."

"He's nice to everyone," I explained. Tyler was also very cute, but I won't tell Daddy that, either. "What made you like Mommy?"

"Hm. . ." His eyebrows went together as he thought about my question. "I loved the way she smiled at me. Still do."

I frowned. I had an ugly smile. My two front teeth were missing. Mimi laughed and pointed at me whenever we practiced All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth. She was so mean. I didn't know why she picked on me. Most of the kids in my class were missing teeth, even Tyler, and new ones wouldn't grow in for a while.

I sighed. "What else did you like about Mommy?"

"Well. . . She makes the best chocolate chip cookies in the world."

Mommy's cookies were the best. I could help Mommy bake cookies and give some to Tyler at lunch. "Thanks, Daddy. You have the best ideas."

"You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. We have a few minutes left to swing. Bet I can swing higher than you." He grabbed hold of the chains and swung his legs forward and back.

"I know you can. Your legs are longer." I started pumping my legs anyway, aiming my feet higher and higher toward the sky. I loved the feel of the freezing wind on my face. "Someday, I'll be as tall as you, Daddy."

"Someday."

We swung for a few minutes until our fingers were numb and our cheeks turned red.

"It feels like it is going to snow," Daddy said, dragging his feet on the ground and standing.

"Oh, I hope so." I jumped off the swing and landed on both feet.

Daddy looked at his watch. "Time to head to the movie theater. We don't want to miss the previews."

I raced Daddy back to the car. He drove to the parking lot, and then we walked down the narrow alley to the Watson Theater. Daddy bought two tickets, and we entered the warm building. It smelled like buttered popcorn. I pulled down my hood and peeled off my mittens and shoved them in my pocket.

At the candy counter, Daddy bought all our favorites. We found seats in the back row and took off our coats. Daddy placed them in the seat next to him.

The theater was packed with people. We sat down and waited for the movie to begin. The lights soon dimmed.

My eyes stayed glued to the bright screen the entire time, while I stuffed my face with soda pop, caramel popcorn, and chocolate-covered peanuts and pretended I was the beautiful and brave princess.

When the movie ended, Daddy and I put on our coats and picked up our trash. We followed the long line of people through the theater. Daddy threw our garbage in the cans beside the counter, and I pulled on my mittens.

Holding on tight to Daddy's hand, I skipped out of the warm building and into the cold air. Fat flakes of snow floated down from the sky, coloring the whole outside world white. I tilted my head back and tried to catch one on my tongue. "Look, Daddy. It's snowing!"

He laughed at my silliness. "Did you like the movie, Princess?"

"Oh, yes! Very much." I giggled. "Someday I will marry a handsome prince and live happily ever after in a great big castle."

We walked through the narrow alley to our car. Daddy opened the back door for me. "When you find your Prince Charming, just don't forget about your ol' Dad."

I climbed onto the seat and buckled the belt. Daddy shut my door and got in the front. He started the car and turned on the windshield wipers.

"I'll never forget you, Daddy," I promised.

He smiled at me in the rearview mirror as he backed out of the parking space and headed home. On the way out of town, we passed man-knee-kins of an old man and woman riding in a one-horse-open sleigh.

"Daddy, please play Sleigh Ride. It's my favorite winter song."

He pressed the buttons for number five on the CD player. I loved the sound of his deep voice as we sang together about sleigh bells ringing and other wonderful things to remember. I would never forget this date with Daddy.

But I couldn't wait to get home and make cookies for Tyler. Maybe, someday, when I was bigger, I would have a date with him.

Author's Note: I hope you enjoyed this preview. We get a glimpse into Jasmine's close relationship with her daddy and her crush on Tyler.  

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas! What gifts are on your wish list?