Chapter 10: Big Bad Wolf

I brought Dean's motorcycle back at 8:40 pm. He sat on the porch rail waiting for me with his mother's helmet in his hand. I jumped off the motorcycle, took off his helmet, and put it on the seat.

"You're late," Dean grumbled.

I just grinned. I should be angry at him for his drunken kiss, but he had helped me finagle a date with Tyler. Right now, I was too happy to be mad.

"So did you have fun?" he asked.

"You'll find out when you read Tyler's texts."

"About that. I don't have time anymore. I'm way too busy," he claimed.

"I paid you until the end of the month. Are you going to refund my money for the last week?"

"Did you refill my gas tank?"

I shook my head.

"Then I guess we're even," Dean concluded, hopping off the rail.

"So who do you have an appointment with tonight?" I asked, unable to hide my curiosity.

"That's none of your business."

"What business does one do at nine in the evening?"

"You wouldn't approve," he replied with such a somber expression that I was instantly worried.

I prayed he wasn't using drugs. They could make people do strange things. My mind spun with a million questions. Foremost was why he kissed me today.

"No more questions," Dean resolved as he walked toward me. "I'm taking you home."

"Just drop me off at the theater. Melaney will be waiting for me. She went to the seven o'clock movie while I was on my date. I'm spending the night at her house."

He handed me the other helmet which I slid on, and he put on his.

"When are you getting a car?" I inquired even though he told me not to ask any more questions.

He shook his head, but answered anyway, "You hate cars. They're too confining." He straddled the seat, and I got on behind him.

"That's just my opinion. What do all your girlfriends say about riding on a motorcycle?" I fished for information about his alleged appointment.

"I've never had any complaints."

He started the engine. Talking would be impossible now. I supposed thousands of girls would be thrilled to take my place pressed this close to Dean. I held on tight to his waist as he drove the motorcycle to the movie theater.

He parked beside Melaney's sedan and switched off the engine. I jumped off the seat, took the plastic bag containing my clothes and sneakers out of the cargo case, removed Diane's leather outfit, and stuffed it in for the last time. I placed the helmet on top and zipped up the case.

Melaney got out of her car and stood beside the open door. For a second, I noticed a strange emotion in Melaney's eyes, one I seldom saw . . . jealousy. She was jealous of me, of me being with Dean.

If Dean hadn't kissed me, I would tell her she was being ridiculous. But he had. 

I definitely couldn't talk to him or Melaney about any of it, so I had no one to help me figure it all out. I wanted to scream with frustration, instead I calmly asked, "How was the movie?" as Melaney simultaneously asked, "How was your date?"

"You first," I prompted.

"Thrilling and so action packed that I sat on the edge of my seat the entire time!" Melaney raved.