Chapter 21: Fireworks

In the brief silence after the last note of our song, Tyler bent down and softly pressed his lips against mine. He lifted his head before I had a chance to kiss back. "That was our hello kiss," he explained, mesmerizing me with his megawatt smile. "Let's go find the chocolate fountain. I'm starving!"

We took turns dipping fruit and cookies into the flowing chocolate. I made certain none of the chocolate dripped on my dress. The chocolate-covered strawberries were my favorite, and Tyler chose the dipped vanilla wafers, which tasted like KitKats.

After eating our full, I wanted to wash my hands to remove all traces of chocolate. Tyler helped me locate the designated women's restroom, and he headed for the men's. We agreed to meet in the library when we finished.

I washed my hands in the sink and dried them with a thick paper guest towel, monogrammed with a P for Price. I dabbed my face with the now damp towel, careful to remove the chocolate, but not the make-up, although I had to reapply my pink gloss.

Since I was already here, I might as well use the facilities. I eyed the tiny, bathroom partition and then my wide, ruffled skirt. How would I keep the ruffles out of the toilet water? It was like wrestling a cloud, but I won the battle. I washed my hands again and told myself to not drink anything else for the rest of the evening. Someone should warn girls about the hazards of wearing ball gowns.

I left the restroom, navigated through the crowd, and managed to locate the library. Male voices stopped me from entering.

"I heard the same lecture earlier, from Jasmine's stepfather." That voice was Tyler's.

"Just remember," the second voice was Dean's, "if you hurt Jasmine, I will hurt you. Understand?"

"I like Jasmine. I have no intentions of ever hurting her. Do you understand?" Tyler just admitted that he liked me, but he sounded angry at Dean.

"Yes," Dean replied. "I think we finally understand each other."

I breathed a sigh of relief, so glad I didn't have to stop a fist fight between a Prince Charming and a Genie.

I stepped into the library and smiled innocently at Tyler and Dean. They switched their frowns to smiles.

"Who wants to dance with Cinderella?" I asked.

"I think it's my turn," Dean said. "Tyler has to help his mother with the award ceremony. We have time for one dance if we hurry."

Dean grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door before I could protest. Just like old times. When we reached the other dancers, he placed one blue-gloved hand on my back and the other in mine. "How are The Rents?" Dean asked, leading me around the dance floor.

"The same, but different. They allowed me to come here with Tyler. I'm still not sure why," I explained. "Of course, Jonathan had to interrogate him before we left the house."

"Of course," Dean said, nodding.

"What were you and Tyler talking about in the library?" I asked, changing the subject to catch Dean off guard.

He smirked. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Duh. That's why I asked. Where's your lamp? I'd like to make three wishes."

"Sorry. I must've left it in the library." His smile faded, and his blue-gray eyes filled with empathy. "You know genies can't bring people back to life or make people fall in love with you."

"I know, but I appreciate everything you've done to help Tyler and me get together." If it wasn't for Dean, I'd never have gotten Tyler's attention.