Chapter 23 Pandora's Box

I sat by myself at lunch on Thursday; it was Dean's fault. He jinxed me with his All-couples-don't-have-a-happy-ending speech at the park on Sunday.

Tyler and Melaney glared at me from opposing corners of the cafeteria.

I stared out the windows at the pouring rain and debated which storm would be the safest, the one raging outside or the one inside. Lightning bolts lit up the cloudy sky, and seconds later, loud booms rattled the glass panes.

Glancing at Melaney's enraged expression, I seriously considered going outside and braving the elements. I'd never seen her so mad before. All because I'd asked her to cover for me during our Friday night sleep over while I snuck out to meet Tyler, for a few hours. She'd adamantly refused, and I might have called her "such a prude sometimes" under my breath. In my defense, she wasn't supposed to hear it. But like everything else about Melaney, her hearing was perfect.

I took my frustration out on Melaney because, for once in my life, I'd attempted to be honest with The Rents. Tyler wanted to take me out on Friday night, and I'd foolishly asked for their permission, but they still wouldn't allow me to date, unless it was a group activity with adults supervising. No amount of pleading or whining would change their minds. I even tried yelling and demanding, which I won't ever do again. Somehow I escaped from getting grounded. So much for honesty being the best policy.

I stole a peek in Tyler's direction. He looked more disappointed than angry. He'd wanted me to sit with him at lunch. I explained I'd have to be dead to sit at the same table as Mimi and her minions and suggested he sit at my table instead, but he insisted on bringing Todd who insisted on bringing Heather, which led back to the original dilemma of me having to be dead first.

I took a bite of my shiny red apple and immediately spit it out. It was rotten on the inside. Like me.

Melaney had always stood by my side, no matter what. She'd earned the right to say no to me occasionally. I'd reacted childishly to her refusal. I got up and threw all my food in the trash. Right now, I needed to eat crow not chicken.

I walked over to where Melaney and Emily sat at Shawn and Chad's table. Prepared to grovel, I stood beside Melaney,"I'm sorry."

"I know you are, but I'm still angry." Her bitter tone matched her sour expression. "We'll talk later, at the beginning of club period." She looked down at her tray as if she was disgusted by the sight of me.

I really couldn't blame her. I deserved her scorn. So I went back and sat at our table. Alone.

My stomach churned for the rest of lunch and during the next few classes before club period. I struggled to stay in my seat and not run to the bathroom and vomit. I made a big mess this time and didn't know if I could clean it up. I needed to tell Tyler that our date was canceled, unless we could devise another plan that didn't involve Melaney lying for me.

As soon as I walked in the school store, I located Tyler. "I can't go out with you on Friday. Melaney doesn't want to cover for me, and she shouldn't have to." Melaney entered the room. I spoke a bit louder, so she could hear me, "I decided to spend the night at Melaney's for our monthly sleep over, if I'm still invited." I turned to Melaney to ask, "Am I?"

Melaney hesitated before she replied, "I guess." Her tone seemed annoyed, but not as angry. She handed Tyler some papers. "Here's September's report for you to review and initial."

He skimmed the pages, wrote TJP at the tops, and returned them to her.

"Did you still want me to lead the club meeting?" she asked.

He nodded. "Yeah, since I have to leave early. I have a meeting with Coach Chapel at three. Jasmine, we'll talk more at my house later?"

"Okay," I agreed, eagerly anticipating the half an hour before our Thursday night research session with his father. I hadn't been alone with Tyler since the charity ball. I wondered if his next kiss would be as knee buckling as the last one.

Forever Remember: The Rose CodeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara