Chapter 12: Last First Day

Melaney and I stood outside the entrance of Milltown Senior High on our last first day of school. Melaney wore her new khaki skirt, sandals, and favorite teal shirt accented by her turquoise cross necklace, a fifteenth birthday present from me.  With Melaney's help, I chose to wear a beige, faux-suede blouse over my cream-colored cami, khaki capris, and comfy leather moccasins embroidered with tiny turquoise and gold beads. Melaney loved to dress up, but I missed my t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers.

Melaney held up her cell phone to take a picture of us together. "Say cheese, Tiger Lily!"

I attempted to smile as the camera flashed.

Melaney had styled my long bangs into two, thin French braids, adorned with slim, gold ribbons and shiny, turquoise beads. I might've resembled a Native American Princess if I looked like Melaney. Her hair was a cascade of chocolate curls. My copper mane was too straight to curl. It always twisted into knots, just like my stomach right now.

I despised school - the huge crowds, the tiny classrooms, and the terrifying claustrophobia from being trapped inside a building for over seven hours a day. I longed to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. That's why I wanted to go to Cyber School like Dean. He could take his laptop outdoors to do the daily lessons, but I couldn't convince The Rents. So here I stood, trying not to hyperventilate.

"You can do this! Just breathe through your nose, s-l-o-w-l-y." Melaney recited her "Little Jasmine That Could" speech, which she gave me every year on the first day of school. "Just walk one foot in front of the other . . . one step at a time." She took one small step and held up one finger. "One second at a time, one minute, one hour, and then . . ." She rotated her finger in a circle. "One entire day is over. You are Jasmine Jane Austine. You are invincible."

"Stop, Melaney Jane Miller. You are embarrassing me," I hissed as Emily Green walked up to us. 

"Hi," Emily said, looking quite comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans. Her brunette hair was pulled back in its usual pony tail. 

I wanted to go home and change back into my normal clothes. 

Emily and her family attended our church, but she hadn't been to youth group since her cousin, Emma, had died in June. Emily was Melaney's latest rescue mission. Melaney was helping her through the grief process, like she'd helped me when Daddy died.

"Are you ready for senior year?" Melaney asked. 

"No. I would rather be any place other than here," Emily confessed.

"I know exactly what you mean," I agreed with my whole heart.

Melaney squeezed between us, hooked our elbows with hers, and dragged us through the open glass doors. "Come on, you two. We'll have fun. I promise."

Emily and I reluctantly consented to the abduction, and Melaney steered us through the herds of students to the school store in the back of Ms. Keys' classroom. As members of FBLA, the Future Business Leaders of America, we worked at the store in the morning and avoided the archaic alphabetical homerooms organized by students' last names. Otherwise, I would've had the same homeroom as Mimi Holt. I didn't want to start my school day seeing Mimi's evil face, but I did want to see Tyler's.

Tyler was the President of FBLA. Melaney was the Vice President, and Emily was the Secretary. I didn't hold any office. I simply supported Melaney and caught glimpses of Tyler on the few occasions when he worked in the store. Usually, he trained in the gym with the cross country team during homeroom. I hoped he would show up today if only to say hello.

Should I be casual and confident or forward and flirty? My mind sifted through all the different things I could say to Tyler, though I didn't know why I bothered. Once he smiled at me, I would probably lose the ability to speak. All the audacity I had for our date was long gone.