Chapter 20: War in the Sky

Start from the beginning

Zelda's smile faded away as she realized that she was going to lose him anyway, but she found some solace in the fact that for this small, blissful moment, she still had him all to herself. And so, she leaned in and gave Link a small kiss on the cheek, knowing it would wake him. And it did, for as he felt the soft and warm touch of the girl's lips against his skin, the hero opened his eyes and smiled drowsily at her for a brief moment, before pulling her into a full kiss, one that, like all of their other ones, didn't last nearly long enough.

When they finally parted, they spent a long moment of calming silence, wrapped in each other's arms as the warm glow of the sunlight spilling into the room poured down upon them. Link was the first to break the lasting silence as he whispered a warm greeting to his wife while placing a hand against her cheek and keeping it there. "Good morning," he said with a soft, contented smile.

"Good morning," Zelda said with a small giggle, placing her hand on top of his and giving it a slight squeeze.

"Last night was incredible," the hero said, closing his eyes as he thought back to it, his smile growing.

A small blush lit up the girl's cheeks as she remembered what had happened last night as well. "It certainly was…" she said with a long, happy sigh. The couple started to gravitate closer for another kiss, however they were interrupted right before their lips touched by the sudden clamor of someone bursting through the front door of their house.

"Link! Zelda!" Sheik's urgent shout came from the front room of the house. "Wake up you two! We need to talk! Now!"

Link groaned begrudgingly as he sat up in bed along with Zelda. "Goddesses, she wakes up even earlier than you do…" he said to the girl with mock aggravation.

Zelda giggled brightly as the two of them got up and got dressed as quickly as possible, not wanting to keep Sheik waiting for too long. The moment they opened the bedroom door, they found the Sheikah leader standing right outside of it, impatiently crossing her arms and frowning at the two of them, her expression undeniably apprehensive.

"What is it?" the hero asked her, noticing her serious, but not usual, bitter manner.

"There isn't much time," Sheik said as she already started to head for the front door to go out. "Come with me."

"To go where?" Zelda asked, still standing near the bedroom door with Link.

The Sheikah leader let out a small, somewhat exasperated sigh. "You both are a lot alike, you know that?" she asked them both gruffly, clearly in no mood to put up with any opposition. "You both ask too many questions when there's no time to explain everything."

"Sheik," Link said evenly, noticing that she was starting to get tenser with each passing second. "What's going on?"

Sheik pursed her lips before sighing once more and turning to them both, her scarlet eyes hard and unyielding. "Listen to me carefully, both of you," she commanded firmly. "I've just received word that the Interlopers are about to strike once more and this time, they're not playing any games. If we don't act quickly, innocent people could die. That's why we need to get moving. Now."

"Are they going to attack Kakariko Village?" Zelda asked as her and Link exchanged a worried glance.

The Sheikah leader was silent for a moment as her harsh gaze softened somewhat and she looked away from the couple. "No," she said stoutly, crossing her arms once more as she looked to her feet.

"Then where are they going to strike?" Link asked, noticing her hesitation.

Sheik was silent for another moment before looking them both straight in the eyes. "Your home," she said. "The sky."