Chapter 5

Nick

I tried to call Demi every chance I had, while I was filming the day of her doctor appointment. I left her two messages & sent her several texts. When I didn't hear from her as we finished our last scene of the day, I started to get worried. As I made my way home, I called a few of her friends & no one had heard from her since that morning. I felt a little relieved when I pulled into the driveway, at home, & saw her car. At least she was home. Maybe she had fallen asleep or was taking a long bath. Maybe she was working out with her headphones on. Maybe she was reading & turned off her phone.  

I nearly ran into the house & I froze when I found Demi, sitting at the dining room table, staring at a bottle of vodka & a glass half full of what I assumed was vodka. My heart sank & my stomach turned. I could feel sweat form on my brow as I said nothing. I held my breath as I sat in the chair at the end of the table, beside where she sat. I wasn't sure Demi even blinked, but I knew she had been crying, since her makeup was smudged. I was scared right now as I tried to figure out what to say. I took a deep breath, before I spoke.

"Baby?" I spoke in a low voice, leaning toward her a little

"Baby?" I spoke in a low voice, leaning toward her a little. I watched her inhale, sharply, & squeeze her eyes shut. She started shaking her head & a few tears fell from her eyes. I reached out to touch her hand. "Demi, what's wrong? Talk to me, please." Her eyes didn't open. "You're scaring me. Baby, please." 

Demi yanked her hand away & opened her eyes to glare at me. "Stop calling me baby." 

I blinked a few times, confused for a moment. "Okay." Was all I could respond.  

Demi's lip & chin quivered as she stared at me, tears filling her eyes. I couldn't remember the last time I saw her look this sad. My heart ached for her, wondering what was wrong. It was killing me. I needed to make it better. I needed to fix it. I reached up to catch a tear that was falling down her cheek. Once my finger touched her skin, she crumbled & started sobbing. 

I grabbed her as she fell into my arms. I rubbed her hair & shushed in her ear. I had no idea why she was crying, but tears filled my eyes,because her anguish was breaking my heart. I held her for several minutes, letting her cry until she couldn't cry anymore. When her crying, quieted, I murmured in her ear. "Please tell me why you're crying. Tell me why you drank." 

Demi sat back in her chair, rubbing her eyes. She shoved the bottle of vodka & the glass to the side & let out a noise of frustration. "I didn't drink it." Her eyes looked at me as I watched her closely. She leaned toward me & let out a long breath. "See? Can't smell it on my breath because I didn't drink it." She sat back in her chair with a huff. "I've been staring at that bottle for hours now. I brought that glass up to my mouth about a dozen times & each time I put it down." Her eyes met mine. "I put it down because I want to continue to be a hero to my sister."

"