Chapter 29

Joe

We were only a half hour or so from Big Sur when Olivia, who was sitting in the front, felt her phone ring. She sucked in her breath when she saw who was calling. "Oh my God, don't say a word. Daria is calling me." Olivia nearly shouted at all of us as she turned the radio off. "Hello?"

Olivia answered her phone on speaker phone.

"Hey, Liv. Did I catch you at a bad time?" We could hear Daria smiling as she spoke.

"Um, not really. Just driving." Olivia answered, looking a little nervous. I saw Wilmer reach over & squeeze her hand to calm her.

"Are you alone?" Daria asked.

"Yea. I'm actually heading over to Nick's." Olivia bit her lip, then shrugged her shoulders when Nick raised an eyebrow. "It's not looking good for Demi." Olivia was looking at Nick, then smiled to reassure him that she was not saying something she believed.

"They don't have any leads at all?" Daria asked in an unsettling voice. It was as if she was trying to find out if they were onto her. It made me shutter.

"No. None. And you were right the day you came over, but I didn't want to admit it because I never thought there would be a chance for me & Nick again. But now..." Olivia paused & closed her eyes. "Nick & I could get another chance." Olivia opened her eyes & looked at Wilmer, who was driving. She reached over & squeezed his hand that was resting back on his thigh, now. Then her eyes went to Nick's as she frowned.

"I have a feeling you & Nick will get that second chance." Daria replied.

Olivia faked a laugh as her eyes were wide. "Oh yea? Why do you have a feeling?"

"Call it intuition." was all Daria responded, saying it in a way that I think shook all of us to our cores.

Olivia swallowed. "Well, I hope that feeling is right. I don't want her to to be found, but I do feel bad that Nick would lose his babies, too. Anyway, Dar, I really want to see you today. Where are you staying? I can come to you."

"I'm very busy today, but maybe later in the week we can get together." Daria said in a hurried tone.

Olivia bit her lip, looking as if she were thinking fast. "Are you staying at your aunt's house in Big Sur? I'd love to bring Gianna to the beach." Her eyebrows went up & her eyes darted to each of us. She looked like she was freaking out. Nick sat up straighter & leaned on Olivia's seat.

It was almost a minute before Daria answered, making us all nervous. "Um... no... I'm in a hotel. I haven't been to my aunt's in years. I gotta go, Liv." The line went dead & Olivia stared at her phone. We all knew Daria was lying. Nick's eyes were closed as I knew he was thinking how close he probably was to Demi. He sat back in his seat.

"Do you think she knew I was onto her?" Olivia asked in a worried tone.

"No, babe. How could she know?" Wilmer said. Olivia still looked worried.

"You did great, Liv." I chimed in, giving her a smile when she looked my way.

Nick opened his eyes & agreed. "Yea, Liv. We're almost there, anyway. It won't be long." Nick looked hopeful & that made me happy.

It was a little over a half hour later, we were following Petit onto a dirt road that turned into a driveway & we saw the beach house in front of us. Nick sucked in his breath as he leaned forward a little, his hand on the door handle. His eyes never blinked, I swore, as he stared at the house. We watched as police surrounded the place, quietly.