9. Laying Down the Law

Once the children were dressed and in bed, I made my way into the kitchen. The sound of Aymaan's whimpers echoing in my ear. Later that evening when Zayn appeared into the kitchen, he cancelled the smell of fried food with his sharp and cool aftershave. His wet hair pushed back by hair band, his lean arms exposed in his ocean blue tank top. He sat back in the dining table chair picking one shami kebab and inspecting it like it was a strange species.

"Who made this?"

"I did, of course." I replied firmly.

I stood by the stove and peered over watching his jaw move as he chewed chew half of the kebab. He went through three of the large circle shaped kebabs without a word. I poured him orange juice in the silence tense with questions brewing. When I placed the cup on the table, he reached out to grab it but I pulled my hand back. He looked at me in confusion.
"Are you giving it to me?"
I held the cup in my grasp tight, words tumbling around in my mind. I didn't know what to say sitting opposite with the glass in my hand as he chomped slowly.
"Out with it." He spoke with his mouthful, folding his arms, straightened his spine ready to argue with me. But I wasn't to be intimidated by his strong frame. All I thought of was Zeenat's final words.
"Take care of my children. Save them from him."  Is this what she meant?
Looking at the table, my jaw tight, it was time I delivered my promise.
"Have you ever hit the children?"
He scoffed in disbelief. Was that a yes or no?
"I'm here for the children. I married you so I could take care of Zeenat's children. It's my job to feed them, clothe them and discipline them. So, if I find out, or see you raise your hands on any of MY children- " I looked up and glared into his disintrested gaze. His cheek was rounded by food that he'd left unchewed.
"-I promise you Zayn Azlan you will regret marrying me." My hand was tight around the cup. My knuckles white. I was shaking.

Expecting a barrage of excuses, I was ready to retaliate, instead I was left surprised when Zayn slowly chewed the food he'd stored in his mouth. Silence followed leaving me feeling awkward. Did I say too much? I pushed the glass of orange juice towards him relieved I'd taken it out of my system. As I stood to leave the table he'd stopped me.

"Here, take this." He offered me a wad of circled notes tied with a blue elastic band.

"What's this for?"

"Take it. For shopping."

"But I have money."

After my stark warning, I expected his harshness instead something changed. He took on board my warning and offered me money for the expenses. He put the money on the table and proceeded to dunk the kebab into the red mango chutney sweeping it up into his gaping wide mouth.

"That's your money." He chewed nosily. "This is for the kids. I don't want you to spend your money on them. They're my responsibility. Spend your money on your Friday nights and the stuff you women get up to."

He had no idea that my Friday nights consisted of slipping into my extra-large red socks curling up with a book or watching a movie.

"Then I'll slowly repay what I owe you."

Owe me? He didn't know that he owed my dad. I decided the money he gave me I would simply give to dad. Zayn didn't need to know. It was irrelevant.

"Aren't you eating?" He took the plate of piping hot brown rice and poured the chicken curry over it.

Making my way to the counter, I covered my fish finger sandwich concealing my alternative meal for tonight. Over the past few days I didn't have time to balance my routine with exercise. The idea of eating a full meal made me feel guilty.