Chapter 9

There was a huge party in the Slytherin common room that night and everyone was invited. Scorpius leaned against the far wall of the green common room watching both Slytherins and Hufflepuffs run around wooping in delight. He grinned to himself, just as he planned. He had known that Slytherin and Hufflepuffs would be a good match. With the combination of Hufflepuff skill and determination and Slytherin cunning they were an unstoppable force to reckon with. Scorpius' eyes moved across the common room. He saw Albus making large arm gestures as he tried to chat up Alice, no doubt trying and failing to explain his amazing quidditch prowess. He saw young Hugo Weasley, a Hufflepuff sitting awkwardly on the Slytherin sofa with his friends, clearly not sure of what to make of the underwater common room. Scorpius noticed Dom and Sam giggling and joking to one another in the corner, sipping butter beer as they whispered into each other's ear.

'Nice Party' Rose said next to Scorpius, suddenly appearing out of nowhere.

'Who let you in?' he joked 'Ah it doesn't matter, watching us is the only way you could ever understand what it's like to win at Quidditch'

'Ravenclaw won the house cup last year' she reminded him.

Scorpius shook his head 'Nope. Don't remember that'

'Really?' Rose frowned with a slanted smile 'Because I remember us beating you guys, what? 145 to 30'

'That's only because your team got cold feet and caught the snitch early' Scorpius retaliated. 'You were so scared that you didn't let the game go on for more than 20 minuets'

Rose smiled patting her Slytherin friend on the shoulder 'Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night'

'Actually it's the 10 beautiful women at my side' Scorpius joked.

Rose wrinkled up her face 'You pig! Why the hell would you even say that?'

'It's the truth I can't help if I'm just that attractive' Scorpius shrugged. Mentally hating himself for saying something so stupid. He watched Rose shake her head and walk away with a look of disgust. He ran his hand through his hair and thought about what an idiot he was. Why the hell did he even say that? He cringed internally. He looked up at Albus to see if he was having any better luck with Alice. He watched as Alice punched him hard in the shoulder and walk away making her way over to Dom and Sam. Albus had a defeated look on his face as he made eye with Scorpius, his best friend. Albus' shoulders slumped as he made his way over to the wall of shame, where Scorpius stood.

'Why do you keep chasing her?' Scorpius asked his friend as he knocked his back against the wall, standing side by side with his friend.

Albus shrugged 'It's a Potter tradition I guess. Step one, fall hopelessly in love with a girl who is a) out of your league b) won't give you the time of day and c) could probably beat you up if she wanted to. Step two, keep flirting with her and chasing her until she gives in and falls hopelessly in love with you'

Scorpius laughed and shook his head 'That's not how girls work mate'

'Like you know how girl work' Albus laughed, shoving Malfoy with his shoulder.

'No one knows how girls work Al, they don't even know how they work. There just as screwed up as the rest of us primates, so don't be putting them on a high pedestal or anything. Why don't you stop chasing for once? You have always been going after Alice but she's not the only girl in the world.' Scorpius advised.

'But I have to be the chaser. Otherwise who would chase me?' Albus said worried 'I'm not the smartest, funniest or even that good looking. She would any girl like me?'

'Relax Al, I heard that Heather McMillian fancies you' Scorpius told his friend 'You know, the Hufflepuff'

Albus raised an eyebrow and scanned the crowed for Heather 'Are you sure' he asked uncertainly, spotting Heather on the other side of the common room talking to some of her friends. Scorpius watched as Heather looked up and glanced over in their directions. She blushed red when she saw the two boys staring at her. Both boys dropped their eyes in an instant, embarrassed.

'You should go for it' Scorpius nudged his friend encouragingly 'Off you pop my little ladies' man' Scorpius winked at his friend.

Albus smiled uncertainly before timidly approaching Heather. He was acting like she was an exploding bomb. Scorpius Malfoy cocked his head to the side slightly as he thought about the analogy. He decided it was very accurate. In his eyes all girls where similar to an exploding bomb or a thunderstorm. They were beautiful, powerful creature that had the supreme power to create and end life. They were the reasons why hurricanes where named after people.

'Malfoy' Alice greeted him, detaching herself from a group of friends.

'Longbottom' Scorpius replied.

'Good game' She said.

'Not bad. I liked the result. You played well today' he complemented.

'Clearly better than you' she joked.

'Me? flying?' he mused 'Defiantly not, I'm not on particularly good terms with the sky. It's nothing personal though. Just a matter of principal'

'You talk to Albus?' she asked, knowing full well that he had been here moments before.

'You talked to Dom?' Scorpius counter argued.

She nodded 'Yeah the three of us cleared it up'

'I wasn't talking about that' Scorpius said, eyeing his Gryffindor friend perceptively.

'I don't know what you mean' she said guardedly.

'Ok' Scorpius dismissed it 'must be nothing then'

Alice leaned in closer. 'What you talking about Malfoy?'

'Just that you and Dominque are really good friends' Scorpius shrugged, trying very hard to hide his knowing smile.

'And that's it' she hissed, before storming away.

Scorpius shook his head 'Gryffindor's' he sighed 'so dramatic.'

***

Rose Weasley sat next to Dominque and Sam on the far side of the common room. The furthest point that she could physically be from Scorpius Malfoy. She screwed her hands up into little balls and she thought about his whole demeanour, the double personality that he sometimes wore like an expensive glamorous coat. The way his face would fall into this arrogant, pretention expression when he, supposedly thought that no one was looking. Rose knew that this was not the real Scorpius, that he was really the arrogant Malfoy, it was just a part he played in order to look cool or something. A crease appeared between Rose's eyebrows as she frowned at Scorpius from across the room. He was talking to Alice, but something was wrong. He was winding her up, even from across the room Rose could see that Scorpius was making Alice angry. She wished he would just stop this stupid charade. Rose watched Alice snap at Scorpius before storming away from him dramatically. Her face was almost as red as her tie. Rose's lip curled.

'Checking out the future Mr Weasley?' Sam asked, breaking her out of her thoughts.

'Say that one more time an I'll show you how dangerous a Ravenclaw with a book can be' She snapped back viciously.

'Tut tut someone's touché' Dominque teased, her French accent leaking through.

'Just go back to your sick relationship. I believe the next line you are looking for is no I love you more' She mimicked in a French accent.

'And that's not offensive?' Dom snapped back 'What's got your curls in a twist Weasley?'

Rose didn't answer, she just growled.