Chapter 2

Charlie Jackson walked down the dark street of Manhattan, his shoulders hunched and his head low. His eyes shifted from right to left uneasily, it had been too long since his last monster attack and he knew his time was running out before he ran into another one. Charlie had been moved to Australia after the disappearance of his parents, but his 18th birthday had been a few days ago and the moment Charlie had become an adult he had jumped on the first plan to New York. It had been a risk taking air travel but he didn't have the time to take a boat or travel by train half way across the world. His dad would never had even thought about taking a plane but Charlie thought that since he was half Athenian he might gain some leeway with Zeus. He knew he wasn't supposed to even be in America, since America was the heart of Western Civilisation it was a glowing neon sign for all monsters telling them where to find a nice godly snack. That had been one of the few rules that Aunt Rachel had explained to him all those years ago.

Don't come back to the US, Stay where ever they send you.

The thing was, not even Rachel or Grover knew where the Jackson Children had been sent. They were so scared that someone, or something might force it out of them that they entrusted each child to a god, and it was their task to find a home for them. All Charlie knew was he had been entrusted to Poseidon and his grandfather though it funny to send him to the land of surfers.

Charlie turned another corner and down a dark ally way. He strode up to a dark and faded door and knocked on it twice paused then three times. The slit in the door slide open and a dark eye stared out.

"Password" asked a gruff voice.

Charlie leaned in carefully "black 93"

The slit was then slammed in his face and Charlie started to panic for a heartbeat, what if he had the wrong password? He questioned himself. But to his relief the door opened and Charlie strode in. The room was dimly lit and large. Several tables were dotted around, each with four or five poker players. There was a stage to the far back of the room where a woman sung quietly into a mike, who Charlie was pretty sure was one of the nine muses. Red harpy's dressed in suits walked around carrying drinks for the players.

"Weapons at the door" the large Cyclops grunted beside him. Charlie reached into his pocket and pulled out a hilt of a sword.

The Cyclops frowned "Where is the blade?" he grunted.

"Do you mind if I demonstrate?" Charlie asked.

The Cyclops looked suspicious but nodded. Charlie looked down at the hilt of the sword and then suddenly a celestial bronze blade grew out of it.

The cyclops grunted, clearly satisfied with the demonstration. He took the sword of Charlie and allowed him to enter. Charlie walked slowly into the room, taking his time to look at each and every one of the faces. There was a large neon sign to his left that read The red flower club.

The red flower club was a neutral area in New York, where anyone could enter and have no fear of being harmed, Monsters and Demigods, Mortals and Gods could sit down at a table and play together. The only rule was to take all fights outside. The red flower prided its self on its pacifism. 'There was strength in  peace' Charlie conceded. He moved through the tables with a certain easy that is only bestowed upon a practiced fighter. Several pairs of eyes watched him as he moved thought the room. He casually spotted a seat at one of the tables and sat down. He flicked his hand in the direction of the nearest harpy, indicating that he wanted a drink. The dealer began to shuffle the cards and flicked the cards to each player. Charlie picked up his cards and studied them carefully.

Charlie looked at the middle aged man sitting opposite him and new exactly who he was. His name was Lysander Dean and he was a disgraced Greek demigod who had fought against his father in the second Titian war. He had fought on the side of Kronas. Charlie watched him thoughtfully and tried to imagine what it would have been like for his Dad. He had been 16 and he had led and army against the Titans, and won. He had been two years younger that Charlie was now. The thought still left Charlie slightly in awe. Charlie indulged himself slightly, imagining what Lysander's reaction would be if he told him that he was Percy Jackson's eldest son. Anger? Rage? Fear?