Chapter 11 - Unforeseen Return

Eren's POV

Everyday I get a little closer to believing that Levi will never return. I hide behind a fake smile and shield my heart from the devastating reality of war.

"Eren, do you want to eat at mine?" Armin asks as we make our way home from yet another mission.
"I really can't, Mikasa said she is making dinner tonight and if I skip it again she'll kill me." He laughs, but he knows how scary Mikasa can be when she is upset.

We say goodbye and he walks off towards home. I fish my keys out of my pocket and open the door to my house. My heart drops.

Mikasa is not in sight. There is however a soldier is standing in the middle of the living room, his back is turned towards me and he humming to a melodic tune I've never heard before.  "Mikasa?" There is a crash from the kitchen and the soldier in front of me turns around, he has a bandage wrapped around his head, it covers his eyes but I recognise his face.

"Eren?" The man seems unsure but happy and he sounds eerily familiar. It takes a moment before the voice clicks in my head. "Levi?" I ask in return, my voice breaks on his name and tears stream down my face as I practically jump into his arms. He catches me and holds me tightly.
"Eren, I have missed you so much". I tighten my grip round his waist.
"I've missed you too."