Chapter 6 - Commander

Levi's POV

Seeing that Eren gets along well with Mikasa makes leaving them to report to Erwin much easier.

I walk past Erwin's secretary and immediately walk into the Commander's office. Erwin and Hanji look up at me from where they were in the middle of a discussion.
"Feel free to come in Levi" Erwin says sarcastically.
Erwin and I have always been close like friends ever since he saved me. I roll my eyes.
"I have something's to report from the mission to Trost," I start.
Hanji and Erwin drop everything and shift their focus to me. I'm never usually this formal unless it's important.
"Firstly, Titans that attacked Trost were successfully defeated."
"But?" Erwin asks.
"My Squad were ambushed and I myself almost fell victim to their attack. The Levi Squad is no more."
Erwin's face drops. They were some of our best fighters this side of the wall and nothing can brace you for the loss of your friends. Hanji, as crazy as she is,cries silently for our lost comrades.
"Only one boy survived the attack on the village, his name is Eren Jaeger, he is 12."
Erwin looks worn out from the news.

I take a deep breath and speak my mind;
"I would like to take custody of the boy," Erwin looks at me like I've lost the plot and glances at Hanji who just shrugs her shoulders.
"Wouldnt the boy prefer to be placed with a nice family. " Shaking my head in disagreement I argue my point.
"He has just lost his real family, he needs someone who he trusts, someone who will care for him. I will look after him with all I have."
I wait in silence for the Commander's response, he looks to be deep in thought.

"Eren should have a say in deciding where he will say, bring him in tomorrow. From today onwards you are suspended from active duty, you shall only train at the base. This will give you time to grieve and reflect."
I nod in agreement and leave the office.